No announcement yet.

welding shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any advice or pointers would be helpful thanks.

Comment

• does anyone have any advice on stick welding. Im burning 7018 rods, but cannot get the weld to look pretty.

Comment

• Originally posted by migman69 View Post
        does anyone have any advice on stick welding. Im burning 7018 rods, but cannot get the weld to look pretty.
        If you are just starting, you may need more practice before you have a pretty weld. A lot depends on what amperage you are using with the size rod you are using. Make sure your metal is nice and clean if using a 7018 rod, wire wheel or grinder works nice for cleaning it up. If your weld bead is high you are running too cold, if it is low and your sides are undercut and a lot of splatter, you are running too hot. Using a 5/32 rod, start at 80 amps and adjust your amperage up from there, using 1/8 rod, start at 125 amps and adjust your amperage up from there. Do not rush with the rod, watch your puddle as you move, you should see a nice uniform look to it as you move your rod back.
        Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
        Hobart Handler 187
        Dewalt Chop Saw
        4" Air Grinder
        Die Grinder
        Rigid Drill Press
        Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

• you probably need to slow down. they seem like a slow rod to me, but that could be as I'm doing vert up with them ??? in general though i seem to want to go too fast. the slag is not the bead so let it grow. you have to be able to tell the 2 apart. that and get your heat right.
          post us some pic's and maybe we can get you an idea as to what is the best way to go. a pic is worth a 1,000 guesses.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

• Originally posted by KBar View Post
            Using a 5/32 rod, start at 80 amps and adjust your amperage up from there, using 1/8 rod, start at 125 amps and adjust your amperage up from there.
            I think he meant 3/32 instead of 5/32
            at home:
            2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
            2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
            2008 Suitcase 12RC
            Spoolmatic 30A
            WC-24
            2009 Dynasty 200DX
            2000 XMT 304
            2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
            Sold:MM130XP
            Sold:MM 251
            Sold:CST 280

at work:
            Invision 350MP
            Dynasty 350
            Millermatic 350P
            Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

• Originally posted by c wagner View Post
              I think he meant 3/32 instead of 5/32
              I did, thanks for correcting my mistake.

Sometimes my typing gets ahead of my brain
              Ken

Hobart Handler 187
              Dewalt Chop Saw
              4" Air Grinder
              Die Grinder
              Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

Comment

• well thanks for those tips ill take my camera to school monday and take some pics of my welds and post them so you can tell me what im doing right or wrong. I did notice some spattering around the weld so am i using to much heat and also the rod seems to be burning down real fast i was running on 120 i think ill take a pic of the machine setting too cause im not sure how to figure out the dial on the machine, it has numbers for ac and dc and i dont knwo how to tell if the machine is in dc or ac mode.

Comment

• i dont know how to tell if the machine is in ac mode or dc mode the machine im using has one switch on the from to select from hi or low amps a dial in the middle to select voltage, and a switch to turn the machine on thats it. it is a miller

Comment

i dont know how to tell if the machine is in ac mode or dc mode the machine im using has one switch on the from to select from hi or low amps a dial in the middle to select voltage, and a switch to turn the machine on thats it. it is a miller
                    Do you know what model it is ? It should say on the front, side or a sticker on the rear.
                    Ken

Hobart Handler 187
                    Dewalt Chop Saw
                    4" Air Grinder
                    Die Grinder
                    Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

Comment

• ill have to look monday when i go to school and let you know the model of it , i will also post some pics of my welds too so i can get advice on themas well.

Comment

• well i finally figured out why we could not get that al to weld right the stinger was messed up we took out the old tip and put a new tip in it worked like a charm

Comment

• Well dangt if class wasnt cancelled again today cause of the weather lol thats 2 days in the last week or so, oh well what can u do.

Comment

Well dangt if class wasnt cancelled again today cause of the weather lol thats 2 days in the last week or so, oh well what can u do.

Move to a warmer climate
                            Ken

Hobart Handler 187
                            Dewalt Chop Saw
                            4" Air Grinder
                            Die Grinder
                            Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

Comment

• lol never thought of that

Comment

• moving metal

does anyone have a good idea as to how to move metal around. I have a fairly smallish yard thats next to the road so any truck that would be delivering the metal would be able to pull right up next to the yard only problem is theres a hill nopt to steep but a hill none the less. and i would need to get the metal from the truck to my shop entrance which is at the back of the house, i had considerd buying a used towmotor but that wont work cause i have all grass to travel through, any ideas to dang bad 4 wheel drive towmotors are so danged big. if any one has an idea please let m know.

Comment

Working...
                                X