No announcement yet.

welding shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boy the blueprint stuff is confusing i havent even looked at a print in like 5 years lol, i will probably be asking alot of questions once my classes start

Comment

• so i have a problem i ran into last night id like some advice on. My buddy was trying to tig some 1/2 inch diamond plate aluminum to some thinner aluminum i guess about 1/4 inch well he was tiging it and we could not get it to weld, the heat was on maximum, and the weld puddle just wanted to ball up and not take. has anyone run into this problem

Comment

• i had that problem with some thiner diamond plate i used a wile back. first question is was it cut with plasma ?? that can make for big problems. you have to use a flap disk and take it back about 1/8"-or more depending.
        could also be anodized so give it a good wire brushing, but plasma cutting could be the problem.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

• Not to sure how it was cut but it looked cut pretty cleanly i think maybe on a bandsaw. But the metal was not perfectly clean though but our boss said the heat would burn through the dirt but im telling you the weld just balled up and wouldnt even take and what did take dang sure wasnt pretty.

Comment

• What amps? Sounds cold, 1/2" is pretty thick.
            Tim Beeker,
            T-N-J Industries
            (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
            Esab 450i with wire feeder
            HH135 mig
            Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
            Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
            Marathon 315mm coldsaw
            vertical and horizontal band saws
            table saw
            Dewalt cut off saw
            Sand blast cabinet
            lots of hand grinders
            Harris torch
            beer fridge

Comment

• believe it or not we were using a old lincon ac/dc tig machine i mean old and this thing is massive too, we had the heat cranked up to maximum on the unit but the metal was cool to the touch when we first started welding it. as it warmed up it took a bit better but heck as fast as it got warmed it cooled off. we never did figure out the problem plus the filler metal had blach spots in it too.

Comment

• i would clean it up first, grab a fresh tungsten and give it a bit of a pre heat. no way to fix it when it dose that you gotta cut it out and start over.
                could also be you fould the tungsten. do you have good gas coverage ?? just go back to the basics and look for some thing simple. if its not plasma cut, the basics should get ya going again. fresh tung. , good clean work ( SS wire brush will clean off the anadized), good gas coverage, and enough heat. should have ya going.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

• i thought bout preheating it some but my boss said i didnt need to he said it wouldnt have helped in this situation. but hes a dumb dumb ne how. ill gikve what u suggested a try.

Comment

• if anyone is wasnting a great deal on a welder go through ioc on ebay they have brand new welders for a thousand dollers under list great deals

Comment

• i got all my welding stuff from IOC. MIG, TIG, and plasma cutter came from them. as will my next purchase. great people to deal with befor and after the sale.
                      i have heard runing the torch over the work at a lower amp befor welding it can help prep it also. might give that a try.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      JAMES

Comment

• i to have bought a few things from IOC but have not bought any welding machines or anything like that just safety gear But the prices are very reasonable, another good one is quimby corp, and weldfabulous.

Comment

• hey fellows

well my first welding class went off without a hitch. But i did get burned right on the finger ignorance causes pain lol. But i started off stick welding today. Just welding stringers flat surface lines. My instructor said i was very good for my first time doing it, and he said he weas proud to see someone do so well the first time they ever picked up a stinger.

Comment

• Well.......

Just keep up the good work.
                            Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
                            Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
                            Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
                            CST-250
                            HF-15 High frequency
                            XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
                            Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Comment

• thanks for wishing me luck

Comment

• im currently learing smaw. using 7018 electrodes. What is the best way to get the nice ripple look that looks like dimes laid over each other. Im welding stringers right now on just flat plate. im holding the electrode at like a 45 degree angle is this to much angle, and im dragging it on the metal is this correct or do i need to hold it a little above the base metal.

Comment

Working...
                                X