No announcement yet.

welding shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i tned to prefer the more comfy gloves my self.

Comment

well i just got my new miller tool bag today and love it, so far i have the tool bag three pairs of miller welding gloves one for tig and one for mig/stick and one for just metalworking, I have a sellstrom dp4 face shield on the way, oh yeah a jackson journeyman eqc helmet, if anybody can think of or suggest anything else besides the jacket let me know please, any tools (for a tool bag), or anything i appreciate it.

Comment

if anyone has any ideas on what kind of hand tools i need to start off with please share your advice, if i start welding were i work now ill need all my own hand tools cause the dont provide crap except for welders consumables, sand blaster, bender, mill, and iron workers.

Comment

any one got ne ideas? please help is needed

Comment

Originally posted by migman69 View Post
            any one got ne ideas? please help is needed
            Well what are the guys that weld at your shop using for tools? They would be a good place to start for advice, chances are they'll quickly tell you about good and bad experiences with tools in the environment that you'll be using them. Besides they'd rather have you buy your own than borrow theirs!
            at home:
            2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
            2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
            2008 Suitcase 12RC
            Spoolmatic 30A
            WC-24
            2009 Dynasty 200DX
            2000 XMT 304
            2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
            Sold:MM130XP
            Sold:MM 251
            Sold:CST 280

at work:
            Invision 350MP
            Dynasty 350
            Millermatic 350P
            Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

yeah i work in a factory and the company wont provide the hand tools for the guys that weld, we dont do much stick welding at all in the weld shop the only guys that stick are the maintance guys when they are fixing steel racks, or dock plates. In the weld shop we do MIg and tig, but have to fab parts before we weld them, we do it all we cut the stuff, grind it shape it, weld it then send it to my beautiful friends dept(christy)(which has a huge crush on me even though shes married) for paint and powder coat.

Comment

and what sucks is we do repair work for people at the plant, like garden tools, or lawnmower parts, one night we welded a brush guard for the plant manager, and when we need tools we cant never find them ever, thats why i was just gonna get my own and keep them under lock and key.

Comment

Migman69

good for you. hope you can build your dream.

don't be discouraged by any of the negativity. some guys just can't stand seeing someone else succeed. I personally know someone in my town that owns a VERY profitable fab shop, and when he started, some of his guys knew more than him.

Just make sure you research your purchases yourself. Don't rely on your local sales rep. I had one try to sell me a machine that wouldn't work for my application. He seemed surprise.

Good luck

Comment

that didnt really answer my question but thanks for the advice

Comment

has anyone ever built a santa sleigh i was thinking about trying to build one one day?

Comment

migman69, what was the question? shop,tools, cute girl.........
                        Tim Beeker,
                        T-N-J Industries
                        (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
                        Esab 450i with wire feeder
                        HH135 mig
                        Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
                        Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
                        Marathon 315mm coldsaw
                        vertical and horizontal band saws
                        table saw
                        Dewalt cut off saw
                        Sand blast cabinet
                        lots of hand grinders
                        Harris torch
                        beer fridge

Comment

it was about the basic hand tools needed for welding that i should put in my tool bag? the compnay i work at does not supply hand tools i have to provide all my own when i start welding there

Comment

Think back to the extra distracting trips you've made in the past for stuff you've needed. That's a good start.

Spare consumables.
                            Extra helmet lens(s).
                            Weldor's multi-tool.
                            LOTS of markers; Soapstone, Sharpies, scribe etc.

ICE kit... In Case of Emergency. Sealed for protection; very visible and well marked. Let co-workers know what and where it is.
                            Keep a list of medical information about prescriptions/medical conditions.
                            Contact information for notification in case of emergency.
                            Copies of insurance cards.

Comment

finally someone with some insight on the tools ill need

Comment

welding machine

does anyone have a good suggestion for a good multi process welder Im wanting to get one for the house so i can do light fab work and general repair work for people or myself such as mower decks, shovels, shelfs, and creation making stuff, all i have is standerd household power, 110v outlets, i had thought about buying a generator to run a welder off of but i would like to keep costs down for now till i find my self needing to upgrade. any tips or ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X