No announcement yet.

welding shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• build a traiklor to haul it behind your riding mower, or quad.
    nice set of big quad tires to keep the grass safe.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

• that would work but i dont have anything to pull a trailer with and i was kinda hopeing for something that would be able to lift things if needed too. I was thinking about a used skidsteer or something small manuverable, but can lift stuff on pallets with a fork attachment, but at the same time i want to keep costs down also. It would be a shame to buy a bobcat even used and just use it to move metal once in a while. Although if i build a cart i could get a cheap quad from TSC to haul it that may be the cheapest route what do you guys think?

Comment

• first mig welds

i dont have any picture of my stick welding yet but here are some pics of my first gmaw welds. well shoot i have to figure out how to make the pics smaller once i do ill post them

Comment

• may well be cheaper to hit TSC for a quad and go from there. i suspect once you have it you will find many uses for it.

as for smaller pic'c. if you have win.XP there is an Image Resizer for free download from microsoft. works great, easy and fast to download .
          here
          http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

• If you go with a skid steer, you are going to be tearing up the yard when you turn that thing. A quad might be your best bet or an old small farm tractor, then build a set of forks for the front that you can mount to the bucket. If you live in an area where there is snow, the tractor could serve double duty in snow removal, good money in that when your not welding.
            Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
            Hobart Handler 187
            Dewalt Chop Saw
            4" Air Grinder
            Die Grinder
            Rigid Drill Press
            Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

• both great suggestions thanks and i downloaded the photo sizer so ill see how well that works in a minute.

Comment

• well finally that worked lol here is my first time gmaw welding what do you all think
                Attached Files

Comment

• these pictures are of my first time ever doing GMAW

Comment

• Originally posted by migman69 View Post
                    these pictures are of my first time ever doing GMAW
                    Not bad for the first time. I had a little trouble viewing the pics, they looked very glossy, maybe its my computer but try turning the flash off next time if you are in a well lit area. From what I could see, I would clean your metal a little better if using a 7018 rod. Looks like your amperage may have been just a tad low, try another 5 amps, if thats not enough to give you a nice puddle, try 5 more at a time. Also, slow down a little, thats why your stringers are wide, then narrow. You should be getting an average distance of 8" out of the rod.

Keep the pics coming
                    Ken

Hobart Handler 187
                    Dewalt Chop Saw
                    4" Air Grinder
                    Die Grinder
                    Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

Comment

• Originally posted by KBar View Post
                      Not bad for the first time. I had a little trouble viewing the pics, they looked very glossy, maybe its my computer but try turning the flash off next time if you are in a well lit area. From what I could see, I would clean your metal a little better if using a 7018 rod. Looks like your amperage may have been just a tad low, try another 5 amps, if thats not enough to give you a nice puddle, try 5 more at a time. Also, slow down a little, thats why your stringers are wide, then narrow. You should be getting an average distance of 8" out of the rod.

Keep the pics coming

sorry that was not 7018 or stick welding at all that was Mig welding (GMAW) not SMAW ( stick) that being said what do you all think.

Comment

sorry that was not 7018 or stick welding at all that was Mig welding (GMAW) not SMAW ( stick) that being said what do you all think.
                        SORRY, my mistake, I was waiting for your stick pictures
                        Ken

Hobart Handler 187
                        Dewalt Chop Saw
                        4" Air Grinder
                        Die Grinder
                        Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

Comment

• now that you know those were mig what do you think bout it?

Comment

now that you know those were mig what do you think bout it?
                            I did very little mig since I started. I am mainly stick. I was hoping to have a mig welder at work by now but it may be a month or two yet.

From what I saw, it looks good, you may still want to slow up a little and increase your voltage a little. Your wire speed looked about right. Also, clean the rust off all the metal. Are you seeing a nice looking puddle as you move back ?
                            Ken

Hobart Handler 187
                            Dewalt Chop Saw
                            4" Air Grinder
                            Die Grinder
                            Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

Comment

• Not to sure what you mean but the puddle looks alright to me, and is clearly visiable i mean it glows read for minutes after the weld is done. i thought i might have been moving a little to fast, its just when you get used to stick welding (which i have done more of) a stringer bead with 7018 is a lot narrower than the stringers i mig welded, it has a completly different look ill take some pics tommorow of my stick welding and post them for everyone to take a look at.

Comment

• sorry no stick pics yet every time i have class i forget the camera but here is a pic of a wrench i made fo my water meter, its just tubing made into a t handle with a notch in the end. i notched the end using a o/a torch.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X