Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding shop

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding shop

hi my name is tyler im thinking about starting up my own welding and fab shop. what miller products would you all recommend to handle any type of metal and thickness some stuff i weld is over a inch thick.

hey tyler good for you. what your after is a multiprocess welder. then you have to ask your self if you want to be mobile. A multiprocess welder is like a bunch of different welding machines in one. you said you want to weld all metals up to an inch thick, it's a good thing you never said "and super fast" or I would of fallen off my chair lol. different metals and metal thicknesses require different welding processes(machines). Process speed, material thickness and quality of welds has alot to do with what process you use. a multiprocess welder has all these machines in one unit. research research research ................................................ho pe this has helped.

Comment

thanks

thanks is it possible to be able to weld stuff thicker than a inch?

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by migman69 View Post
        thanks is it possible to be able to weld stuff thicker than a inch?
        No. That is why battleships are bolted together. Just kidding!!!!!

You can weld any thickness of metal if you have enough heat, enough depostion of the filler and enough time. Good luck!

Comment

so in other words any thickness can be welded but with multiple passes

Comment

I'm not intending to be rude or disrespectful, but in light of the posts of yours that I have read, and the questions that you have asked...... Are you SURE that you are of sufficient experience, knowledge & skill in regards to the welding trade to be entertaining the thought of opening up a shop????

The questions you have asked lead me to believe that you are not ready. Don't be discouraged, I just think you might want to rethink this career move right now. Hate to see a guy try & fail because he's not ready.

Comment

Listen to Jason!

I haven't been on here much lately and have not read some of your other posts like Jason (Black Wolf) has but I would have to agree with him after reading this post. If you need to be asking what type of equipment you will be needing to do the jobs at hand, I too think you may need to gain a little more knowledge and experience in the sport we play.

You should already have a game plan and know what your abilities and limitations are and you and only you can decide what you truly need for what you can do. Like Jason, I'm not looking to burst your bubble or imply that you don't know what you are doing, I just doesn't seem as if you are ready to branch out on your own yet. Dave

Comment

This is a candidate for a new HH210 and a Maxstar 150.

Comment

........................................and the crowd goes wild!

join the crew and break on through with the BLUE.....................................

Comment

Go get a Clarke 110 volt welder from Tractor supply, weld all the 1" plate you want with it. For a saw just use a hack saw. This should get you started in your business. Be sure to plug in the welder with 100' of 16 gage cord, You'll get plenty of penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by joebass View Post
                      Go get a Clarke 110 volt welder from Tractor supply, weld all the 1" plate you want with it. For a saw just use a hack saw. This should get you started in your business. Be sure to plug in the welder with 100' of 16 gage cord, You'll get plenty of penetration.
                      Although you may be trying to be humerous, I wouldn't say that it is coming across that way. (Try smilies next time ) Regardless, Migman asked a question, and it was answered by others with a little bit of positive reinforcment. There is a right time and a right place for sarcasm and I don't think this is one of them.

Just how I saw it.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. This guys got no business starting a welding business if he has to ask questions like that.

Comment

Easy..Easy everyone

He asked a legit question. He may not know it all, thats why he asked. Thats what this site is all about. Heck - if I knew it all I probably wouldnt be posting this, instead I would be telling everyone how smart I am....

Never knew anyone that was a master of their trade the first day on the job....

Comment

Ehhhh.

Ehhhhh, Errrrrrrrr, Ahhhhhhhh.You say you weld a lot of 1". What have you been using for that? Perhaps that's what you need

TacMig

Comment

ok settling the score

Ok Im not a welder ok I will be attending school for welding shortly and workng towards my aws certification as well as my state and local certs. I will be opening up a welding and fab shop with a guy that has been in this arena for 10 years. Im trying to gain knowledge thats why i asked questions. But i know more than likely i may have to weld something thicker than 1 inch, dont criticise me for being ignorant. If you dont know something the only way to find out is to ask right.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.