Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Lift.....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Lift.....

Hey guys,
    My brother builds race engines & last weekend had a bit of a mishap with an engine lift breaking removing a GM 454 engine. He borrowed this one in the pic that was the same as his to bring me to make a template for a much heavier one. This one is made from 3/16" & interrupted welds on both sides. He asked me to make (2) & just have only one hole since he never needed or used the other additional holes & he wanted them welded all the way around. I found a piece of 5/16" plate & plasma cut the plates after making a 1/8" template for the hole pattern(GM engines) & making further units. Here's some pics.

Denny
    Attached Files

Nice!

I have always been leary of those carb plate mounts for lifting!

Seeing that moroso one makes me happier I have one of those adjusting attachments for the lift!

Comment

Looks like a decent piece, but I would never lift from an aluminum intake...Seen far too many stripped out bolts and dropped engines to even think about it.

When I go to move an engine, I still bust out the handy dandy welded chain, and 3/8ths bolts.

Comment

Here is mine. Bolts to the heads. Also allows to pull engine out of the boat without taking anything apart. Saved me last week too when it rolled over on the stand and the cradle acted as a roll bar.
        T.J.

Comment

Originally posted by TJS View Post
          Here is mine. Bolts to the heads. Also allows to pull engine out of the boat without taking anything apart. Saved me last week too when it rolled over on the stand and the cradle acted as a roll bar.
          T.J.

that works

Comment

Hey TJ,
            Yeah, that one would definitely need some TLC. My bro' also has a similar lift assembly that bolts to the heads. He likes the smaller one for smaller blocks & to use on cast manifolds & never uses it on alum. manifolds.

BTW...what is that jewel going in?

Denny

Comment

Originally posted by yorkiepap View Post
              Hey TJ,
              Yeah, that one would definitely need some TLC. My bro' also has a similar lift assembly that bolts to the heads. He likes the smaller one for smaller blocks & to use on cast manifolds & never uses it on alum. manifolds.

BTW...what is that jewel going in?

Denny
              It is already in it. I have it out this winter and dynoing it soon. Adding a little more boost first.. My homepage has the build up.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.