Smoker's Done!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
    nocheep: That is an awesome job you did!

Hey, is that parked along Buffalo Soldier Trail? Looks pretty familiar

Dave
    No Dave, that's in front of our office on Wilcox Dr.
    Should have it out in front of Aztec for a day or 2 next week if you get down here then. At any rate they will have tickets available for you to get a chance at winning this.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

thats a nice rig man!

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
        I'm no expert, but did a fair amount of research and some discussion about smokers before taking this project on. As far as uneven heat, that will always be a problem if your smoke stacks are at or above cooking level. Ours were placed below the level of the cooking grates. As far as the fire brick, that was to help properly size the fire box as well as make it last longer. The fire box is always the first thing to burn out on these things, and lining it was to give it some additional longevity. As far as the grill, the lid on it seals pretty well and is intended to be used seperately from the smoker. You could close all the dampers to capture heat in the smoke box, fire off some steaks or burgers on the grill, then continue smoking in the smoke box. Or alternately when the rest of the meat is done, go ahead and grill at will.
        The damper control between the fire and smoke boxes (unique to our build, as far as I know) should allow for some serious control of the heat issue.
        Hope this helps.
        YES!!!

Very good and excellent information!
        You actually confirmed much of what basic physics I understood and why my friend was having so much problem with his!

I really think the key to what would make your unit much more efficient is the custom damper between the firebox and the smoker itself. I really like the dual stack exhaust design but was wondering if duals are overkill since you have a fairly good size pipe diameter already. But, since you can also control the outflow of both stacks, I don't really think it matters... Heck! It's really ***y Anyways!!!

Thanks again for the info and for sharing the build up!
        Now please tell us again where we can buy the tickets???

Comment

Outstanding job on the pit and a wise choice of using fire brick in the firebox, when we replaced the firebox on our old pit we came up w/recycled fire brick, now the pit uses less wood to maintain the same cooking temp. and helps save the firebox from an early death.
          Thanks again for sharing your project, good job
          L*S
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh, Yes

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
            No Dave, that's in front of our office on Wilcox Dr.
            Should have it out in front of Aztec for a day or 2 next week if you get down here then. At any rate they will have tickets available for you to get a chance at winning this.
            I knew I'd seen your office, couldn't remember which street Wilcox runs behind the "plaza" there at Coronado and Fry.

Hopefully, I'll be down that way this week or next, and get to see it.

Great job you did!

Dave
            "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

[QUOTE=Kamikaze;227913]YES!!!

Now please tell us again where we can buy the tickets???[/QUOTE]

Send me a PM for ticket info.
              Miller Syncrowave 200
              Homemade Water Cooler
              130XP MIG
              Spectrum 375
              60 year old Logan Lathe

Comment

Lucky Winner

Well, the smoker has a new home! Wayne B from Chandler, AZ bought 3 tickets for $25.00 and came away the lucky winner! Anyway, we made just over $5,500.00 for the March of Dimes with this raffle, up a wee bit from last year's contribution of around $600.00!
                Miller Syncrowave 200
                Homemade Water Cooler
                130XP MIG
                Spectrum 375
                60 year old Logan Lathe

Comment

good looking work

great looking work for a great cause.smoker too pretty to use LOL.good luck for next year.
                  my ability is limited by me only.

Comment

I like the pit. Started building one today. Any do's and dont's to offer?

Comment

Awesome build....

I've built a couple BBQ pits but never an offset. Next one will definately be offset.

One thing I've always wondered is why nobody puts the fire box in the center of the cooking chamber rather than at an end. Seems to me that between puting the fire box in the middle and using the smoke stacks below the grates you could go a LONG way towards evening out the heat without use of fancy tuning plates or tubes with holes or deflectors etc.

I like the grill over the fire box....really nice feature.

Comment

Working...
                      X