How many amps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6010 View Post
    That was a good one SignWave. I laughed so hard I almost blew a hole in my computer chair.

glad i made ya laugh... that was the point!

heres another silly electrical lesson.

one a 110 v welder the duty cycle would be about (lets say) 20%. The most likely reason would be the fact that the tiny little transformer in it is going to get hot from the arc- essentially a short circuit. SO, the more you weld, the more heat builds up and the less current will be able to pass through the xformer. Its a simple fundemental of electricity. The hotter the device gets the more its resistance goes up and the less current it will be able to pass. So bigger Xformers can handle more heat for a longer period of time, but they too will eventually over heat.

when they overheat, the windings can burn and lose their varnish insulation and then BZZT! no more welding ever... or other things like the core laminations can seperate and then the xformer is noisy and most annoying... like that one floro light at the back of the shop... uhg.. If i recall correctly, there is also a point at which the xformer magnetic field will not get any bigger..its a limitation of the device itself. the core has a specific permiability, the windings as well have some limitation that i can longer remember.. " you can only put a gallon of water in a four quart pail..."

if you need power, there is no other cure than to go big(ger).
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

Back to the topic

Basically, what everyone here is trying to say is that size DOES matter.
      Dynasty 200DX, first generation
      Makita 5" grinder
      Makita 14" abrasive saw
      IR SS5L compressor
      Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
      and a wish list a mile long

Comment

That's what she said.

Comment

OK fellas,
          Thanks for the input, you have answered my question. I guess I will go for at least 250 amps, although with my bad attitude I think I need to go after Martha's big,fat, twin sister.

Maybe it is one of these " old dogs new tricks " type things but it is hard for me to visualize something with an electrode just a little bigger than frog's hair doing the same job as a 1/8 or 5/32 rod in a stick welder. I guess I will have to cut some welds and take a look at the penetration as I am sure some of you have and maybe compare it with my stick welder. I am sure even my stick is a little small by some of your standards; it is a little Miller 300/200 AC/DC Thunderbolt. But she has been able to do everything I have ask of her so far, and being way smaller than Martha she had no trouble getting through the front door.

And there is something to be said about asking a question and being open ended about it. We started off with amps ... and look where we ended up
          sigpic 6010
          If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Comment

Does Martha's big fat twin sister light her farts? Mind you she might have trouble reaching around...
            Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
            Syncro200
            Spectrum 625
            O/A
            Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
            Standard modern lathe
            Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
            horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
            Roland XC540 PRO III
            54" laminator
            hammer and screwdriver (most used)
            little dog
            pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

As a matter of fact we do have Martha's twin sister. She eats 3/8 carbons on a steady diet. Ya its a miller with a crank handle to adjust the amps. I'll take a picture of them together for us if you don't comment about their age. Sensitve the darlings are.

Comment

Here they are. Martha and her twin sister in the upper left back ground. You reeeally don't want to be around them if they do fart. LOL
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Steve; 11-09-2007, 09:05 PM. Reason: Additional

Comment

For those smaller rods we use this jewel 6010. And you are correct the machine can be to big.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 6010 View Post
                    Maybe it is one of these " old dogs new tricks " type things but it is hard for me to visualize something with an electrode just a little bigger than frog's hair doing the same job as a 1/8 or 5/32 rod in a stick welder.
                    It can be a little hard to grasp at first but look at it this way. A wire feed welder is feeding hundreds of inches per minute into the weld puddle where as it takes close to a minute to burn some stick electrodes and they are almost always less than 24" long.
                    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
                    Makita 5" grinder
                    Makita 14" abrasive saw
                    IR SS5L compressor
                    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
                    and a wish list a mile long

Comment

What to buy

I did some play welding in another lifetime. I'm close to retirement and want to "make" things, do things and have some fun to boot. I went to a welding open house last week and of course Miller and Lincoln had the 18 wheelers with every welder the ever made. Miller even had one of the Orange County Chopper inside a plexiglass enclosure.
                      Anyway, the good thing was that they had welding booths set up so the public could try different machines. I've been doing my homework and really wanted to try the MM180. I did and welded aluminum with the new (less than $200) spool gun that miller just came out with. I was very impressed that I laid out some dimes my first time holding a MIG gun.
                      Because of the 220 requirement, instead of having to run a new circuit and being married to one physical location, I'm going to run it off my generator which has a 230/30A outlet. It is a 5500 watts run and 8500 peak generator. Miller said it should be fine since the welder only draws 21 amps. Makes me much more portable if I have a tractor problem in the woods...
                      Anxious to see who reads and responds to my post here.
                      Good luck.

Comment

I do the same thing. I power my SP-170T wire feeder off of my engine driven welder for doing the odd remote job, and at the race track. It has worked very well for me with no ill effects on either unit.

Later,
                        Jason
                        Later,
                        Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

My God

Originally posted by tacmig View Post
                          Farts are no laughing matter! The mere thought of someone producing an "air-biscuit" while using O/A is indeed frightening. It is in my opinion that a fart regardless of it's yield should be classified as an IED (improvised explosive device). Hence, providing federal protection in and around ones shop! It is also in my opinion that anyone who knowingly engages in the act or practice of methane production be immediately terminated, reported to homeland security and severely gang slapped!

TacMig
                          Tac,Ive been using that term Air Biscuit for 30+ years,,Boy theres youe basic Blue dart,that dont ask me how I know do the Job!!!!!!!!

And another good one for a new employe,is hold it till your ear drums are going to burst,and let off a 14 second atomic bomb,and look at your boss,or new emplotee,if ya can keep a sreait face,Practice,practice,it harder than little Johnys math,and Tigging But look him square in he eye,and ask hin if farts have lumps,perfuraballly after morning break,cause some one is going to have coffee coming out there nose!!!!!!!!!REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STRAT FACE,Good Luck,Jack

Comment

Very few privlages!

Originally posted by storts View Post
                            Tac,Ive been using that term Air Biscuit for 30+ years,,Boy theres youe basic Blue dart,that dont ask me how I know do the Job!!!!!!!!

And another good one for a new employe,is hold it till your ear drums are going to burst,and let off a 14 second atomic bomb,and look at your boss,or new emplotee,if ya can keep a sreait face,Practice,practice,it harder than little Johnys math,and Tigging But look him square in he eye,and ask hin if farts have lumps,perfuraballly after morning break,cause some one is going to have coffee coming out there nose!!!!!!!!!REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STRAT FACE,Good Luck,Jack
                            I've owned my own shop for just about 26 years now and one thing I can share and/or perhaps re-visit with my fellow shop owners here is that; there really isn't a wide range of perks or benefits the owner enjoys. However, with that said one benefit that I take full advantage of is determining shop rules! With my guys just about running the show anyway, one rule I adamantly enforce and that of course is no: air biscuits, squeezing the cheese, floating a hamster, releasing a boxer doughnut and/or producing butt burps. These are rude, gross, vial and furthermore disgusting acts of what I believe to be retaliation, rebellious subterfuge or even twisted fun and humor at the expense of my health and well being and just won't be tolerated! **** the farts!
                            We depend On:
                            Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
                            Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
                            Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
                            Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
                            Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
                            Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
                            American National Standards Institute
                            American Welding Society
                            The Welding Institute
                            Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
                            Metal Cr
                            afters

Comment

I have a Hobart Handler 135 that I use alot. I also have a Miller 135 at work. I greatly prefer my Hobart over the Miller. My Hobert performs much better (please don't gang slap me, am only being honest). There is a place for the smaller migs, I use mine alot, would be lost without it.
                              Tim Beeker,
                              T-N-J Industries
                              (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
                              Esab 450i with wire feeder
                              HH135 mig
                              Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
                              Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
                              Marathon 315mm coldsaw
                              vertical and horizontal band saws
                              table saw
                              Dewalt cut off saw
                              Sand blast cabinet
                              lots of hand grinders
                              Harris torch
                              beer fridge

Comment

Tacmig,
                                The older I get the less I appecriate the farting also, I used to think it was funny, now it is just plain stupid. Do the job and do it well. But the funnel trick is truely funny with the nooby. Quarter on nose trying to put in funnel stuck in the front of your pants with your eyes closed. Nooby sees this thinks he can do it , then whith his eyes closed you pour water in the funnel.
                                Tim Beeker,
                                T-N-J Industries
                                (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
                                Esab 450i with wire feeder
                                HH135 mig
                                Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
                                Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
                                Marathon 315mm coldsaw
                                vertical and horizontal band saws
                                table saw
                                Dewalt cut off saw