Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Frame repair project

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Frame repair project

Came across this late model sportbike frame. It has some damage.

Some racers install Delrin bump stops to limit steering rage in order to prevent tank-slappers. When they do this, they drill a hole and mount it in a weak area of the neck, its maybe .100 thick AL cast. During a tumble, this one got whacked pretty good..

Take a look at it and throw your 2 cents in. My idea is to strip, heat, bend the indented area out and then V/weld the cracks. An addtl reinforcement plate made from .120 wall 6061 in. Now from previous jobs, this cast al welds like crap, and I'm not sure it will come out winning any bueaty contests but should be sound..

It's bieng built as a display, but may see some trackdays down the road.

Have at it..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Checkered Flag; 02-22-2010, 07:13 PM.

If I were doing it I wouldn't heat the damaged area since your likely to anneal it or over heat the area and ruin the aluminum. I would cut out a repair patch to go over the affected area and simply weld it into place making sure this is no running cracks from the damaged area possibly use LPI just to be sure.

Comment

Working...
    X
    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.