Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATV Snowplow-Poly Completed....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATV Snowplow-Poly Completed....

Ok so I have been working less and less, and the wife has been working more and more giving me two probelms. First I have to much time on hands, my second the wife keeps putting more money in the savings....Anyhow I could not bring myself to pay for a plow for my rancher 350....so i made one so far I have 185 bucks in it, including the winch. I should only have about 125 in it but I bought some steel from mcmaster car and they are not cheap...
    We had snow today and I did 5.5 miles of plowing( I live in subdivision which has miles of walking ground which is never plowed.) So far my design is holding up well but I think I will end up boxing in the pivot arms, as the paint show they are flexing to much.....Anyhow I did build a poly plow and it sure moves snow nice....Next thing I want to do is to make the manual swing, power. I made it it have 5 postions....I did take some pictures...
    Kevin
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tryagn5; 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM.

Looks great. Sure wish i had it a few weeks ago when we got 2' dumped on us. Just for my sidewalks it would be perfect...Bob

Comment

Looks very nice, I really like the poly for the mold board.

You might watch the mount point. I plow at a hospital, in a climate controlled cab that is. But when the shovel crews have trouble with the 4 wheeler we have to take a break from the lot and help them fix the little plow.

There biggest problem is breaking the winch cable, yours looks like it mounts far enough forward to avoid over winding the cable. They also break the cable at the point where it repeatedly rolls on the fairleed roller. I suggested removing the roller and remounting the winch in a manner where the cable pays out in a straight line off the drum with no guides or rollers. Since its only for the blade, I see no need for the fairleed rollers.

X-mas weekend they had the 4 mount bolts work loose just a bit and somehow they managed to bend the reinforcement behind the 4 bolts that it mounts to. Umm it may have been the curb they hit, probably didn't have it in low gear either.

Snow just don't roll very good going slow.

Like I said, Very Nice job. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more pics if you have them handy.

Comment

Thanks...

Originally posted by tom37 View Post
        Looks very nice, I really like the poly for the mold board.

You might watch the mount point. I plow at a hospital, in a climate controlled cab that is. But when the shovel crews have trouble with the 4 wheeler we have to take a break from the lot and help them fix the little plow.

There biggest problem is breaking the winch cable, yours looks like it mounts far enough forward to avoid over winding the cable. They also break the cable at the point where it repeatedly rolls on the fairleed roller. I suggested removing the roller and remounting the winch in a manner where the cable pays out in a straight line off the drum with no guides or rollers. Since its only for the blade, I see no need for the fairleed rollers.

X-mas weekend they had the 4 mount bolts work loose just a bit and somehow they managed to bend the reinforcement behind the 4 bolts that it mounts to. Umm it may have been the curb they hit, probably didn't have it in low gear either.

Snow just don't roll very good going slow.

Like I said, Very Nice job. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more pics if you have them handy.
        As for the winch, it has no rollers, infact its mounted inside the atv, and the cable pulls directly not against the rollers. The mount I made ties into the main frame of the atv, and is designed so the load is "pushed by the frame". As for plowing the poly blade does work well, the snow was very heavy and wet and it just rolled off.

Kevin

Comment

Good job & that beats the shovel by a mile.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.