Dirt track build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jordan Welding View Post
    Thanks AKAUTOMATION It took about a week to fit and weld all the roll cage, afternoons and one weekend. Nobody made a kit for a Ford, besides the mustang, so I had to buy one for a Impala, and cut, chop, and add here and there to make it work.
    This guy makes cages for Fords...

http://www.rollcagecomponents.com/kits1.htm

Jimmy does a great job at a great price.

On edit..

I just looked at your pics. Butt welding two pieces of tubing to make a longer piece is not considered a good practice for cage and chassis construction. Most national sanctions won't pass it particularly for a driver door bar. It's also a good practice to line up the verticals on the door bars.
    Last edited by Vegas Racer; 03-06-2010, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcmetalwerks View Post
      Hey man car looks good. I am from paducah also. I used to run a crate late, but now I am building a modified. When ever you get your car done if you need somebody to letter it for I might be able to help you out. Good luck.
      Thanks dc, I might take yopu up on the lettering once I get done. Good luck with the modified.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickochet55 View Post
        They don't make roll cages for Fords, because they don't make race cars! I had to throw that one in.... Outstanding job! We have been wanting to visit your track sometime. We live about 45 minutes from Eldora... what a sweet track that is! Keep us posted with the progress!
        Well you definatly dont see many fords out there thats for sure. If you guys ever get a chance come on down, its a pretty fun track to run at. I know it wont compare to Eldora but its a pretty good track. I'll be posting some pics soon, only a few weeks till season starts.

Comment

Originally posted by willy View Post
          What class are you running and where you from? Heres a pic of our car a few years ago...love the dirt tracks
          did you run that car in beatrice, Ne?
          sigpic
          Miller Trailblazer 302
          Smith Torch Outfit
          Lots of Grinders
          Miller Elite Autodark Hood
          O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas Racer View Post
            This guy makes cages for Fords...

http://www.rollcagecomponents.com/kits1.htm

Jimmy does a great job at a great price.

On edit..

I just looked at your pics. Butt welding two pieces of tubing to make a longer piece is not considered a good practice for cage and chassis construction. Most national sanctions won't pass it particularly for a driver door bar. It's also a good practice to line up the verticals on the door bars.
            Im sure your right about extending the door bar pieces, short of buying a pipe bender or bridging a 1" gap, I had to make it work. That makes me wonder all these companies out here selling these pre fabed roll cages, I wonder which welding procedure or test would qualify you for 1 3/4" tubing. I butt welded mine with an open root. Chill ring would have been the way to go though. Your roll cage is only as good as the person welding it.

Comment

I was at a festival a while back, had a nascar there, although it must have passed inspection I didn't think the welding was anything to write home about, seen one somewhere else and it was a fine job.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Welding View Post
                Im sure your right about extending the door bar pieces, short of buying a pipe bender or bridging a 1" gap, I had to make it work. That makes me wonder all these companies out here selling these pre fabed roll cages, I wonder which welding procedure or test would qualify you for 1 3/4" tubing. I butt welded mine with an open root. Chill ring would have been the way to go though. Your roll cage is only as good as the person welding it.
                You can put a sleeve inside the pipe, leave a gap at the seam for 100% penetration and drill some holes on the pipes your splicing to add plug welds to the inner pipe. That is usually an acceptable practice in most rules packages.
                at home:
                2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                2008 Suitcase 12RC
                Spoolmatic 30A
                WC-24
                2009 Dynasty 200DX
                2000 XMT 304
                2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                Sold:MM130XP
                Sold:MM 251
                Sold:CST 280

at work:
                Invision 350MP
                Dynasty 350
                Millermatic 350P
                Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Just a few more recent pics, rear tailpiece with rear bumper, tailpiece installed, and front firewall almost complete after moving motor back.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Rear firewall, and Passenger doors welded on. Starting on a motor tomorrow, as well as front nose piece.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Getting a little closer towards going to the track. Here are a few recent pics. The last picture is my pit crew and build partners.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X