Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirt track build

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt track build

Started on this two months ago, I'll have to find my before pictures. Some pics are classified. More to come as I progress.
    Attached Files

This was an ex police car. In the end Im going for the look of a Nascar style car. Since nobody makes roll cages for a Ford I had to buy one for a Impala and make a few mods.
    Attached Files

Comment

I have a dummy block and trans in these pics, I moved the motor back so the #1 plug is almost in line with the balljoint. The rules state that it can be in line, so I stopped just a little short just to be safe. The only problem is I have to rebuild my firewall.
      Attached Files

Comment

Lookin' good

What class are you running and where you from? Heres a pic of our car a few years ago...love the dirt tracks
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice car willy, I'd like to step up to one of those one day. Im going to run street stock. Im in Paducah Ky. Dale Jr, Stewart, And Schrader own a track here in town. Some people say dirt is for farmers, hard to beat sliding sideways at about 70 or 80 though.

Comment

Make sure to keep posting progress pics, I like the way this build is going!!!

Comment

Nice job from a Ford man at heart...Bob

Comment

looks good. Is the tubing a speical kind for the roll cage?

Comment

MK The tubing is.095 (EWT) tubing or Electrically Welded Tubing. It is supposed to be stronger than just regular black pipe because the seam is welded. Im not sure about the exact weights but the roll cage tubing seems to weigh about half as much as say schedule 40 1 1/4" black pipe. It's probably twice as much though. I bought a kit that included everything around the drivers seat, door bars, A post, B post, and Halo. The door bars came pre-bent and notched already, all I had to do was weld them up. I would like to get a tubing bender some day and try to do all that bending, that looks like an art in itself.

Comment

Proper Tubing

For safety it is imperative that you use DOM tubing.

DOM stands for drawn over mandrel. It looks like it has a seam but it won't split like standard tubing.

DO NOT use black pipe
                    DO NOT use standard tubing

Trust me, you will appreciate this advice after the first crash. As a 20 year veteran of the sport I have seen the BAD results of using the wrong material.

FYI:
                    Here is a good little machine by Miller for the task:
                    http://www.welders360.com/brand/lmil...40-mig-welder/
                    Scott

Comment

Nice Job, How long did it take you to fit and fab this all together? How much weight does this add to the car? Nice Build--Keep the Pictures coming.

Comment

Thanks AKAUTOMATION It took about a week to fit and weld all the roll cage, afternoons and one weekend. Nobody made a kit for a Ford, besides the mustang, so I had to buy one for a Impala, and cut, chop, and add here and there to make it work. Im not sure yet how much weight it added, after I add the motor I will scale the car. That's a good question though, I will see how much the pipe weighs and let you know.

Comment

Hey man car looks good. I am from paducah also. I used to run a crate late, but now I am building a modified. When ever you get your car done if you need somebody to letter it for I might be able to help you out. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Welding View Post
                            Thanks AKAUTOMATION It took about a week to fit and weld all the roll cage, afternoons and one weekend. Nobody made a kit for a Ford, besides the mustang, so I had to buy one for a Impala, and cut, chop, and add here and there to make it work. Im not sure yet how much weight it added, after I add the motor I will scale the car. That's a good question though, I will see how much the pipe weighs and let you know.
                            They don't make roll cages for Fords, because they don't make race cars! I had to throw that one in.... Outstanding job! We have been wanting to visit your track sometime. We live about 45 minutes from Eldora... what a sweet track that is! Keep us posted with the progress!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Hightower View Post
                              For safety it is imperative that you use DOM tubing.

DOM stands for drawn over mandrel. It looks like it has a seam but it won't split like standard tubing.
                              Most commercial stock car chassis and cages are built using REW and not DOM. Lefthander is a good example. A few sanctions, NHRA and SCCA or NASA require DOM in some instances but NASCAR and ASA don't. A properly designed and built REW cage will be perfectly safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.