Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand Rails

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Rails

I tackled my first handrail job just before Thanksgiving last year. I wish I would have taken more pictures, but this is all I have. I learned a ton and I can't wait till my next set.
    Attached Files

That looks really nice - good job!

Comment

Nice work, I really like the beefy look and the large head bolts or lags which ever they may be.

Comment

looks really sturdy

Comment

Great Work! I agree about the fasteners, good job with the scale.

Comment

Did you fab it all in place or make sections elsewhere & then install them on site?

Comment

Thanks, I made the pieces on the flats in my shop, and went ahead and pre-cut all my pieces going up the stairs and welded them in place. The home owner wanted to have a industrial look, so I used 10" channel to cover up the stair tread. The rest is 1 1/2" and 3/4" tubing. Can't wait to do another set.

Comment

Glad to see someone following current International Residential Code.

Just some food for thought, though. Not knocking your project at all, but here is a little bit of a pitfall.

A lot of localities take years and years to adopt the latest editions of IRC and IBC. The 2000 edition of IRC stated in R316.2 that railings "shall not be constructed with horizontal members or other ornamental pattern that results in a ladder effect."

Because that statement WAS in the building code, anyone that wants horizontal elements in a railing system provides me with a waiver before I cut metal. That way, when some retarded kid climbs over the edge, the lawyers have one more hurdle. A smart lawyer would point out the old code and argue that the design is still an attractive nuisance inherently dangerous to children.

Comment

well said bagger.....no doubt

but that is some great looking work !

Comment

Good point bagger, I really need to get a copy of all the proper codes. I did contact the local building inspector and he told me as long as obeyed the 4" sphere rule I would be ok, vertical or horizontal. Thanks for the heads up though, good idea about the waiver.

Comment

The ladder effect portion of the code is left up to alot of interpretation by your inspector. We do lots of rails like this and inspectors dont ever say a word. Last year we had a client who wanted cable rail. She had already had words with the inspector about other things so I knew to talk to him first. He said no horizontal members at all! A month later,a house two houses down has cable rail. Do some research on NOMMA about this dumb code.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.