Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Job Pricing Issues I'M In a depressed slump.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're all hanging on by our fingertips. But it seems like when that happens, I do find myself looking 'up' a bit more often. Here's hoping that something will break open for you - and soon.
    Good luck.

Comment

New customers are good and always needed, unless they are a pain in the @ss, but those usually show themselves pretty quick.

Don't forget about your existing customers. Touch base with them, keep your name fresh. If you have a customer who has you continually repair equipment, think about setting up a service agreement so you go there on a regular basis.

When it looks like things are slowing down, I start emailing past customers,more often than not, I get orders.

Comment

what you would charge
        For lets say replacing the ball socket /tongue on a standard 16 utility trailer?? Just labor only.[/QUOTE]

I charge $100.00 and supply the coupler @ my lot [some couplers will cost more] just a thought call the person or company you quoted job for and ask them ; It could help to know from them.

Comment

[QUOTE=FusionKing;225525]I think sometimes you will find that the customer already knows who he WANTS to use because of that person's reputation and he is simply making sure that person is in the range of cost that his competition is.

Yep I think ur right

Comment

Originally posted by STRENGTH AND POWER View Post
            New customers are good and always needed, unless they are a pain in the @ss, but those usually show themselves pretty quick.

Don't forget about your existing customers. Touch base with them, keep your name fresh. If you have a customer who has you continually repair equipment, think about setting up a service agreement so you go there on a regular basis.

When it looks like things are slowing down, I start emailing past customers, more often than not, I get orders.

STRENGTH AND POWER

I was honestly a bit surprised as to the responses I received.... I took your advice and insight from others here and not lightly!

Anyway I sent out some e-mails to some past and recent clients and It was very productive.

So Now the worm has turned so to speak for now, I set up a couple of service deals with some previous customers minor repairs but enough to keep me some what busy with no pressure.

And now there will be some Income coming in that would have not been coming in other wise.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHorse! View Post
              STRENGTH AND POWER

I was honestly a bit surprised as to the responses I received.... I took your advice and insight from others here and not lightly!

Anyway I sent out some e-mails to some past and recent clients and It was very productive.

So Now the worm has turned so to speak for now, I set up a couple of service deals with some previous customers minor repairs but enough to keep me some what busy with no pressure.

And now there will be some Income coming in that would have not been coming in other wise.

Thanks for the advice
              Sometimes a different perspective is all that's needed.

Scott

Comment

If you have a few old contacts that you do irregular work for, it sometimes helps to stop by their shop or site and have a friendly coffee for them. You can bring donuts or coffee, or not. You can ask for work, or not, but usually after a friendly chat, the foreman will ask around if theres any welding needed.

Comment

My biggest asset in snagging the next job from new customers, is my portfolio. Make a very tidy portfolio showing your best work. Make sure to cover many different types of work in this portfolio. When you arive at the new customers place. Introduce yourself with a very strong presence and make sure to be very polite. After your formal greeting and meetings. Tell them that you are excited to have the privilage of showcasing your artwork in their place. you must find a way to do this with out seeming fake. then sit them down and show them your portfolio atarting with the type of product they are interested in. After you are through with that section you state that you can incorporate any of your designs from other areas as well and proceed to show them the other work in your portfolio. THis will tend to generate thoughts of other stuff theyu may enjoy. Also make sure to phone them and keep them updated. Call them about an hour before you meet with them reminding them of your meeting. if it is early in the morning try to call the day before.

Dont push the other products but make sure they see them because it will generate interest in most cases.

True story of how presenting other work has pushed my business... I show up at a customers house who is interested in a small fireplace screen but doesnot like run of the mill products. I sit down with her to show her some gates that she might like the design of since i didnt have any fireplace screens in my portfolio yet. One particular gate sparked her interest as a wall trellus for her vines in the front. and 2 minutes later when we got to the fence section of my portfolio, she said" I didnt know you could do fence as well!" So from a measly little $450 fireplace screen I turned it into a $10,000 ordeal and recieved a $500 tip after works completion.

Comment

Sell Yourself.....

I learned a while back something that at every funeral the average number of people their are between 100-150, one person knows an average of say 150, so pass around a couple boxes of business cards, the work doesn't come to you if they don't know your their and alot of times someones got your card handy just when they need work done. And when I was younger I had lost alot of repeat customers because of my mouth, cleaned it up, and my appearance and things got better, developed a professional attitude.

Comment

"I learned a while back something that at every funeral the average number of people their are between 100-150, one person knows an average of say 150, so pass around a couple boxes of business cards, the work"

Didn't they make a movie with Vince Vaughn about that... I think it was called Wedding Crashers or something.

Get outa here man. So do you know the deceased or are they just some random funeral you go to? WTF?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.