Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bending & Scrollwork...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending & Scrollwork...

Hey guys,
    I posted a couple of the bending & scroll units I made & wanted to show some easy projects to do. These brackets were for a customer who had a fabulous patio with a stone base table with marble top. The top was 1" thick & had a 12" overhand on the radius & the customer needed some bracing to avoid breaking. I made angle braces with 24"L x 3/16"T X 1.5"W and milled a 1"L X 1/4" slot at the bottom for the stone mason to have a bit of manuevering room vertically. The scrolls were 1.5"W X 1/8"T. These would be attached by the mason to drill the holes in the stone & set in the bolt inserts as I don't do stone work or wanted the responsibility of cracking the stone. The top of the brackets would have a thick cushion adhesive used by masons to attach & provide a solid attachment. There are (5) as that was all that was needed for the radius with 2' spacing. I painted them flat black to match the customers' patio furniture.

Denny
    Attached Files

You do great work.

Comment

Comment

Using this type of jig. About how many times did you move your piece to make this nice of a bend? They look very consistent. My wife loves iron furniture, so I'm trying to think ahead and plan my attack. I want to make her a hall table and then maybe think about a bed frame and headboard.

Thanks Tom

Comment

Hey Tom,
          The first piece I do to get the dia. of the bend usually takes 6-8 positioning moves to get the exact size I want. Once I have the correct dia., it only takes 3-4 moves per scroll to repeat the same size for the following pieces. Once you do a couple, it is quite easy.

Denny

Comment

Thanks Denny,

I appreciate the response greatly. In your opinion, for a hall table or even a headboard and bedside tables. Which would work better for ease of bending and also appearance? CR or HR? I am thinking that probably 1/2" square and smaller for the table. And the headboard with 2" or 3" tube for the side uprights and then maybe a little 3/4" and smaller for the decorations.

I haven't found many samples to look at yet, I want to keep it crisp and clean yet unique enough for someone to say WOW I've never seen any thing like that.

Tom

Comment

Hey Tom,
              For most of the projects & crafts I make, I use HR as it's easier to bend, although some thick piecs may need the O/A persuader. The CR pieces I have to manipulate generally are heated. There are quite a few ideas you can pick up on some of the other welding site project boards & the craft sites. I like to print out a pic & then sketch in modifications or alterations to create my own rendition. Here's a pic of a queen bedframe I made for the Select Comfort mattress & box spring set I bought last year. I used 1.5" sq. tubing & 1/2" solid sq.. The flimsy bedframes they sell today for the ridiculous prices weren't worth it to me....I made my own.

Denny
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Denny I appreciate the info. Nice looking bed frame, I really like it. Is there any sites in particular that you would recommend, I don't post much but I read alot over at W.Web, I will be testing there search feature after while. I just hate to have to sign up to be able to see pics like so many sites are set up. Yahoo groups in particular, I'm still waiting two weeks later to be approved at 4x6 bandsaw site. I have always just got an idea in my head and ran with it, but I think I will use your idea and work with the sketch theory.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Comment

If you try to bend cold rolled in a press brake to 90 degrees it will break most of the time. If you anneal the area for the bend it will bend OK but then you make a soft spot in the cold rolled. For forming hot rolled always works best the worst part of using hot rolled is getting the mill scale off prior to paint.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.