Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42" pipe welding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 42" pipe welding

    I recently started a job welding on 42" MILD STEEL pipe. What is the estimated time to weld a 42" asme full penitration. weld on pipe with stick and with mig?????

  • #2
    You left out a few details, like wall thickness for one. Fixed, or in a positioner / rollers?

    They won’t let you see the estimate? Have you ask?
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

    Comment


    • #3
      it is fixed pipe...

      its schedule .40 they are using it to tunnel under the beltway in VA. It doesnt move you lay on ground to get the bottom and work your way around. then they push it in 20' and add another piece.

      Comment


      • #4
        Schedule 40 has a wall thickness of .75. I assume stick on the root and wire after that?
        Chad
        -----------
        Trailblazer 302
        Suitcase 12 RC
        S22P-12 Feeder
        HF-251-2
        Spoolmatic 30A
        Maxstar 200 DX
        Shopmaster 300
        S-22A Feeder
        Coolmate 3
        Trailblazer 250G

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Immortal welding 1 View Post
          I recently started a job welding on 42" MILD STEEL pipe. What is the estimated time to weld a 42" asme full penitration. weld on pipe with stick and with mig?????
          Between 5 hours and 3 days. Depending on the welders skills, fit-up and working conditions.

          If they're riding you just tell'em "I'll be done when I get done, and not a minute F***ing sooner"
          They'll either back off or fire you. A win-win either way.
          '08 F-350
          Vantage 400
          SA-250
          SA-200
          Invertec V350Pro
          Invertec V205T-AC/DC

          Miller 12VS suitcase
          Miller spectrum 2050

          Pipe beveler's
          Track torch

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
            Between 5 hours and 3 days. Depending on the welders skills, fit-up and working conditions.

            If they're riding you just tell'em "I'll be done when I get done, and not a minute F***ing sooner"
            They'll either back off or fire you. A win-win either way.
            No Lie...one of my quotes..."I'm F***ing this monkey...you go siddown and listen to the monkey scream."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by W Welding View Post
              Schedule 40 has a wall thickness of .75. I assume stick on the root and wire after that?
              Chad, I believe the wall thickness is .375.
              L*S

              Comment


              • #8
                The book I have states
                Schedule
                Std .375
                20-XS .500
                30 .625
                40 .750
                Mabey I'm reading it wrong
                Thanks
                Chad
                -----------
                Trailblazer 302
                Suitcase 12 RC
                S22P-12 Feeder
                HF-251-2
                Spoolmatic 30A
                Maxstar 200 DX
                Shopmaster 300
                S-22A Feeder
                Coolmate 3
                Trailblazer 250G

                Comment


                • #9
                  Our welding procedures require a welding travel speed of 6-18 inches per minute. Given that a 42" pipe has a circumfrence of 132 inches (Pi x D), not counting grinding and rod replacement, etc. it would take 22 minutes per pass at 6 IPM. Given the wall thickness. it will probably take 5 passes, which would equate to 2.5 hours. I tend to think it would take closer to 4 given the real world situation of a bore pipe and all that is associated with that kind of work.
                  If you get to MIG after your root and hot pass, you could probably do it in 3.

                  EDIT: Never noticed the keyboard doesn't have a key for Pi.
                  Miller Syncrowave 200
                  Homemade Water Cooler
                  130XP MIG
                  Spectrum 375
                  60 year old Logan Lathe
                  Select Machine and Tool Mill
                  More stuff than I can keep track of..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by W Welding View Post
                    The book I have states
                    Schedule
                    Std .375
                    20-XS .500
                    30 .625
                    40 .750
                    Mabey I'm reading it wrong
                    Thanks
                    Nope thats what it is!

                    42" sch 40 is .750
                    Miller Dialarc 250
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"
                    Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme
                    Miller Bobcat 225

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X