Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

42" pipe welding

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" pipe welding

I recently started a job welding on 42" MILD STEEL pipe. What is the estimated time to weld a 42" asme full penitration. weld on pipe with stick and with mig?????

You left out a few details, like wall thickness for one. Fixed, or in a positioner / rollers?

They won’t let you see the estimate? Have you ask?

Comment

it is fixed pipe...

its schedule .40 they are using it to tunnel under the beltway in VA. It doesnt move you lay on ground to get the bottom and work your way around. then they push it in 20' and add another piece.

Comment

Schedule 40 has a wall thickness of .75. I assume stick on the root and wire after that?

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal welding 1 View Post
          I recently started a job welding on 42" MILD STEEL pipe. What is the estimated time to weld a 42" asme full penitration. weld on pipe with stick and with mig?????
          Between 5 hours and 3 days. Depending on the welders skills, fit-up and working conditions.

If they're riding you just tell'em "I'll be done when I get done, and not a minute F***ing sooner"
          They'll either back off or fire you. A win-win either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
            Between 5 hours and 3 days. Depending on the welders skills, fit-up and working conditions.

If they're riding you just tell'em "I'll be done when I get done, and not a minute F***ing sooner"
            They'll either back off or fire you. A win-win either way.
            No Lie...one of my quotes..."I'm F***ing this monkey...you go siddown and listen to the monkey scream."

Comment

Originally posted by W Welding View Post
              Schedule 40 has a wall thickness of .75. I assume stick on the root and wire after that?
              Chad, I believe the wall thickness is .375.
              L*S

Comment

The book I have states
                Schedule
                Std .375
                20-XS .500
                30 .625
                40 .750
                Mabey I'm reading it wrong
                Thanks

Comment

Our welding procedures require a welding travel speed of 6-18 inches per minute. Given that a 42" pipe has a circumfrence of 132 inches (Pi x D), not counting grinding and rod replacement, etc. it would take 22 minutes per pass at 6 IPM. Given the wall thickness. it will probably take 5 passes, which would equate to 2.5 hours. I tend to think it would take closer to 4 given the real world situation of a bore pipe and all that is associated with that kind of work.
                  If you get to MIG after your root and hot pass, you could probably do it in 3.

EDIT: Never noticed the keyboard doesn't have a key for Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by W Welding View Post
                    The book I have states
                    Schedule
                    Std .375
                    20-XS .500
                    30 .625
                    40 .750
                    Mabey I'm reading it wrong
                    Thanks
                    Nope thats what it is!

42" sch 40 is .750

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.