Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing a Modified 2004 Cobra 4V intake

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a Modified 2004 Cobra 4V intake

This intake manifold was modified by someone and used to thin of material after modding the intake to make it a short runner.
    Here is the problem,too thin of plate and it acts like a drum and under boost it balloons out and cracks the welds.

Intake set up on the JIG plate on the mill. I had to get pretty creative with the hold downs to clamp it to the JIG plate. I might drill and tap the JIG plate for the next intake for the clamp studs. I did not clamp it really tight as not to warp the manifold.

This is after a couple of passes with the cutter. I only took off about .015" at a time.

Just another pic.

More

This is after about the 5th or 6th pass, I lost count. You can see the trumpets epoxied on there. I still have to machine some more material off as to get all the weld off. Time for dinner, tomorrow is another day.

Man I have a lot of cleaning to do. Nice expoy huh.

I am going to make a pattern out of construction paper but I need to cut it out in such a way that edge of the new plate does not match the edge of the intake, the intake material needs to protrude a little more than the plate, this will make for a stronger weld.

T.J.

Comment

More

Finished milling all the welds off and got down to the casting. Also removed the grey coating so it does not contaminate the welds. I will order material on Monday.
      T.J.

Comment

Ok. Got the plate cut...broke 2 band saw blades doing it.I made the bridges for the side plates. The one in the pic is rosette (plug) welded as well for more strength. I have the other side plate bridge made up but not welded in yet. I will be finishing this project up tomorrow. The main cover plate is almost 3/16" thick 6061. It ain't going anywhere.
        T.J.

Comment

Done

Finished it up. Used 185 amps, 76 Balance and 125 Hz for the frequency.

The customer was happy and is going to put 25psi of boost through it, let's hope it holds.
          T.J.

Comment

orginal welds....

Orginal welds looked pretty shabby, probably would have been saved by rewelding and installing ribs on the bottom, not sure if there was space. However Nice job, with 25lbs of boost that motor should be in the 800-900hp range!
            Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
              Orginal welds looked pretty shabby, probably would have been saved by rewelding and installing ribs on the bottom, not sure if there was space. However Nice job, with 25lbs of boost that motor should be in the 800-900hp range!
              Kevin
              The plate was too thin to save, plus it was powder coated, which would have taken even more time to get it clean for welding. A new plate was the only way to go.
              T.J.

Comment

Manifold repair.

Originally posted by TJS View Post
                Finished it up. Used 185 amps, 76 Balance and 125 Hz for the frequency.

The customer was happy and is going to put 25psi of boost through it, let's hope it holds.
                T.J.
                Nice work "Lefty".

Comment

Just out of curiosity, never having used either tool.
                  Would a suface grinder remove the plate and a plasma cutter rather than a band saw cut out the new one?

Comment

Originally posted by ligito View Post
                    Just out of curiosity, never having used either tool.
                    Would a suface grinder remove the plate and a plasma cutter rather than a band saw cut out the new one?

Possibly for the surface grinder but I think wheel material would get imbedded in the aluminum which would be a bad thing. As for plasma cutting aluminum, it leaves a wierd cut on the kerf area. I still would have to grind it with a carbide cutter. CNCing a plate with a cutter would be the best.
                    T.J.

Comment

Possibly for the surface grinder but I think wheel material would get imbedded in the aluminum which would be a bad thing. As for plasma cutting aluminum, it leaves a wierd cut on the kerf area. I still would have to grind it with a carbide cutter. CNCing a plate with a cutter would be the best.
                      T.J.
                      What did you decide to do?
                      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                        What did you decide to do?
                        Nick
                        Nick can you CNC router a plate. I need a price to make some more plates.
                        T.J.

Comment

Nick can you CNC router a plate. I need a price to make some more plates.
                          T.J.
                          I assume the plate you're talking about is the one in the post that you cut off
                          the manifold. Cutting the plates are not the big issue. Getting that shape into my cnc computer is the problem. I'm trying to find out how to do that without spending hours trying to clean the image and make it accurate. Is it worth doing all this plus shipping both ways for 5 plates. I'm working on it though as this will no doubt come up again.
                          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                            I assume the plate you're talking about is the one in the post that you cut off
                            the manifold. Cutting the plates are not the big issue. Getting that shape into my cnc computer is the problem. I'm trying to find out how to do that without spending hours trying to clean the image and make it accurate. Is it worth doing all this plus shipping both ways for 5 plates. I'm working on it though as this will no doubt come up again.
                            Nick
                            It is actually the one I cut off and the thicker one I welded on. I have a cardboard/thick paper pattern of this. I will take a pic of the pattern tonite with length and width measurements. I do not know if you have a scanner for your CNC but it looks like it might fit in a larger flat bed scanner(not sure though). I know there are at least 5 out there that are cracked and there might be more. The person who I just did this for is going to post the fix up at some other site(s) he is on. I can drop ship you the material that I used for the plate I just did. Again, this would all depend on price of each to even see if it is a viable solution or not.
                            Thanks again.
                            T.J.

Comment

TJS,
                              Here is the problem; when the image is scanned and I bring it into my CNC computer, it is a bitmap. Now, I have to trace that image and convert it to vectors. I need accurate, single line vectors. When the picture is scanned from a bitmap it has not a single; but double lines which are not accurate or smooth. It then takes a lot of cleaning up before I could even get to the cutting process.
                              You might try calling Kinkos or some place like that and ask if they can scan an image and convert it to vectors for you. All I have are small regular sized scanners and I couldn't do it in one piece anyway. I would have to scan it twice and merge it together accurately and then do a cleanup. That just leaves too much chance for error. Once I have an accurate file for the CNC we are ready for cutting. That only needs to be done once and we save that file. Then we can cut as many or as few as you want. I don't know what the cost will be until I run the file and see how long it takes to cut. I wouldn't think it would take more than 10 minutes to cut, though. Just a guess.
                              If Kinkos can scan it on a large scanner, change it to single line vectors and then print it out to verify the size and compare to your original pattern, then you are good. Then I can take those vectors and size it according to dimensions. My clipart comes as AI (Adobe Illustrated) and EPS (Encapsulated Postscript from Adobe Illustrated and Corel Draw) and I use the AI files
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.