Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Smoker

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ Smoker

Hey guys, a buddy and I are building a smoker at work and we're going to raffle it away. The proceeds are going to benefit the March of Dimes campaign. THought I'd share some photos of the build.

Started with a piece of 24" x .250 wall pipe and marked and cut out the doors. Before finishing the cuts we welded on the hinges to make sure everything stayed in alignment.

While my partner fabbed up the smoke stacks from some 6" x .320 wall pipe (think they are gonna be heavy enough?)

I worked on fabbing a dampner for between the fire box and the smoke box:

There are 2 of them, one will serve at the plate covering one end of the 24", the other has a smaller diameter and fits inside the pipe. It will rotate on a handle to control the smoke from the fire box to the smoke box.

More on the next post.
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 02-05-2010, 05:46 PM.

Smoker Cont...

Here's how the 2 plates connect to form an adjustable assembly. Some 1" 4130 rod and some DOM tubing allow for a rotating baffle.

Next we cut out some metal that we'll weld on the 2 lids. The handles will mount to these.

That's the progress so far. Next week we'll get our materials in to build the fire box (3/8" plate) and the trailer frame. As well as some 3/8" 304SS rod to build a cooking grate for the outside grill that goes on top of the fire box. Hopefully it will be completed by weeks end so we can media blast it, paint it and have it all ready to hit the road for ticket sales. Sorry, don't have a way to sell them over the web, But davedarragh, we'll have it on display at Aztec welding for a week, so stop by and buy some. Tickets will be $10.00 each or 3 for $25.00. 100% of the proceeds will go to the March of Dimes.
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 02-05-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

It's going to be a beauty.

Comment

Great project for a great cause.

Nice work, I can't wait to see the rest.

I have a spreadsheet calculator to figure the air opening sizes and fire box size to assure you have a rig that will draft proper. I can't find the link right now but if you would like to check it out I would be glad to post it online for download or e mail it.

It will also tell you based on fire and cook chamber size what dia and length will work best for stack size.

Please don't take it that I am saying you don't know what you are doing. Just that after building several pits I found the calculator and learned why some of my older pits just don't run quite right.

Again Great Work.

Comment

Originally posted by tom37 View Post
          Great project for a great cause.

I have a spreadsheet calculator to figure the air opening sizes and fire box size to assure you have a rig that will draft proper. I can't find the link right now but if you would like to check it out I would be glad to post it online for download or e mail it.

It will also tell you based on fire and cook chamber size what dia and length will work best for stack size.

Please don't take it that I am saying you don't know what you are doing. Just that after building several pits I found the calculator and learned why some of my older pits just don't run quite right.

Again Great Work.
          Heck yea, any information would help! We're building this on a whim w/o any plans or anything. FYI, our smoker box is 24" x 72", our planned fire box is 8 cubic feet, and our 2 stacks are 6" pipe. If you can tell me if we're at least in the ball park. I can still adjust the damper opening size if needed.
          Thanks
          Last edited by nocheepgas; 02-06-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=tom37;224487]Great project for a great cause.

I'd be interested in that link. Always assumed there was some formula and not just luck in have a good drawing smoker and barbeque.
            Thanks, and your project looks great.

Comment

im thinknig of making one myself

Comment

nocheepgas,

Looking forward to the rest of the build-up of this!
                Great detail and clean fabrication work!
                I'm assuming you have some great tools to work with for the clean and accurate cuts!

bikemonster,

I have been watching this and other smoker / bbq threads as well since a friend has asked me to help with rebuilding the one he has. I would really appreciate if if you would post up the resources for the draft / intake flow.

Comment

I to would like to see the spreadsheet, here to fore we have been in a trial and error method, sometimes we hit a good draft and sometimes it is keep on till we hit it.
                  Thanks
                  L*S

Comment

Well if I did up the numbers right then, with a fire box of 24"x24" one would need 20 inch's of 6" stack. An air opening of 32.56 sq in between the firebox and outdoors. Then 86.81 sq in between the firebox and the cook area.

Here is the link to my skydrive account.

It should open right up and be there to download. Just click the timplate folder then there is a tab for download. BTW I know it says (timplate) this is not my spelling but the way it was when I downloaded it.

This was not made by myself in any way, I found it over on a BBQ site. A site member built it so people like ourselves would have an effective method to build there cookers. As soon as I figure out which site it came from I will post.

http://cid-d9d0543784dd2f2c.skydrive...r%20calculator

Comment

A friend at another site sent this link to me http://webpages.charter.net/tomchism...alculators.htm

Comment

Thats the same exell spread sheet. This site also has a working sheet for the folks that do not have Exell. It's just not on the page that opens with that link. I will look around and see if I can find it.

Can't wait for more pics, someone is going to end up with a Fine looking rig.

Great Job.

Comment

Here is a great site for anyone building a pit.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20871

In the first post there is links for the free download for open office.org and also the link to the other calculator.

Comment

Thanks gents, but unfortunately I only have xl viewer so ever thing usable is, for me that is, worthless as t..$ on a boar hog, and I'm having trouble w/the link on smokering for the download, perhaps site maintenance, I'll keep trying.
                            As I said before we are trial and error guys and some times we hit it and sometimes no soap. Again thanks for the information. BTW, the pit is looking good.
                            L*S

Ok open office is downloading at this time, they must have been out for
                            breakfast,thanks again
                            L*S
                            Last edited by Leons2003; 02-07-2010, 09:26 AM. Reason: added text

Comment

Wonderful job!!!!!!! LOVE your welds in pic 5! yeesh! Is that stick??
                              nnniiiiicccceeeeeeeeeee job! Hope it comes with a trailer!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.