Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
    You think, Sonora????

Another suggestion, build the welding table the correct height, so you can place the 33' travel trailer on top of it, that needs to be 170% stronger, to allow for correct tigging of the new frame members. Remembering, of course, that we don't like MIG, because with wire feed we just don't have enough "control".
    Yoou know you dont have to be a prick every day. Give yourself a day off.

Comment

Originally posted by kraythe View Post
      Yoou know you dont have to be a prick every day. Give yourself a day off.
      Na, he’s taken it easy on you, you should try a job site some time!

People crack me up; they come on these welding forums wanting to rub elbows with weldors, then get shocked & shaken at their attitude.
      Caution!
      These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
        Kraythe I’m coming to the conclusion you over think things too much!
        You need to join this forum.

http://www.eng-tips.com/threadcategory.cfm?lev2=21
        Perhaps. I never thought that was especially a bad thing. Thinking is a good thing. Asking, learning, exploring, questioning are all the sources of knowledge in the world.

Now you personally Sonora dont seem to be one of those hostile people that inhabit this and other forums so I will take it as a bit of gentle ribbing and thank you for the link.

However, there are here some who believe they know it all. I am not one of those. I enjoy learning and at times that requires asking questions. Other people are so insecure that they cant admit to not knowing anything. These people are usually the forum flamers. They boost their own self-confidence by trying to hurt others. That has always been an alien thought to me. Fortunately I am immune to the hostile rantings of anonymous people I will never meet.

Comment

Na, he’s taken it easy on you, you should try a job site some time!

People crack me up; they come on these welding forums wanting to rub elbows with weldors, then get shocked & shaken at their attitude.
          Oh now there you have it wrong. I come here to ask questions and answer them when I can do so. If I care to rub anything with anyone I will do that with my wife. People on forums have an overinflated perception of their affect on others. I am very happy with who I am, successful in my chosen career and happy with my life which renders me immune to anything dished out here.

However, I can placidly fire back when I feel amused to do so. The fact that the snipers don't affect me just annoys them more.

Comment

Perhaps. I never thought that was especially a bad thing. Thinking is a good thing. Asking, learning, exploring, questioning are all the sources of knowledge in the world.

Now you personally Sonora dont seem to be one of those hostile people that inhabit this and other forums so I will take it as a bit of gentle ribbing and thank you for the link.

However, there are here some who believe they know it all. I am not one of those. I enjoy learning and at times that requires asking questions. Other people are so insecure that they cant admit to not knowing anything. These people are usually the forum flamers. They boost their own self-confidence by trying to hurt others. That has always been an alien thought to me. Fortunately I am immune to the hostile rantings of anonymous people I will never meet.
            You have to remember we come from a different life style than some of you.
            Caution!

Comment

Oh now there you have it wrong.
              No, you have it wrong! I, and a few others here have something you want.
              Caution!

Comment

No, you have it wrong! I, and a few others here have something you want.
                But in my case I am a professional software engineer and author so what I ask about is not critical to my livelihood. I appreciate those that answer my questions and an I enjoy listening to other's opinions when expressed maturely. However, in the end for me its just a hobby.

Comment

Doesn’t matter where it falls on your priority list, you still want what we have.
                  You want in 5-minutes on the computer, what’s taken us years to obtain!
                  OK, so you can read X’s and O’s, so it might behoove you to pick a few books out of Lincoln’s library and start reading. Because you have an annoying way of asking for help from people who do this for a living.

https://ssl.lincolnelectric.com/linc...p?PID=16&cat=8
                  Caution!

Comment

so what I ask about is not critical to my livelihood. However, in the end for me its just a hobby.
                    Kraythe: Having said that, the many things you ask ARE critical to not only YOUR SAFETY, but the SAFETY of others.

Asking for the design thresholds of your many quests, is more than a mere hobby. Hobby welding is making wind chimes, trinkets, or fix that preverbial lawnmower deck.

Being pragmatic and argumentative with those who KNOW the trade does nothing for your learning curve. This isn't a software forum. If you make a design error in software, a computer "crash" won't mame anybody.
                    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                      Kraythe: Having said that, the many things you ask ARE critical to not only YOUR SAFETY, but the SAFETY of others.

Asking for the design thresholds of your many quests, is more than a mere hobby. Hobby welding is making wind chimes, trinkets, or fix that preverbial lawnmower deck.

Being pragmatic and argumentative with those who KNOW the trade does nothing for your learning curve. This isn't a software forum. If you make a design error in software, a computer "crash" won't mame anybody.
                      Actually computer errors could wipe out entire cities power grids, cause a whole city to be destroyed, destroy billions of dollars in financial transactions and even, yes, hurt someone personally. Failures in computer programs are far more dangerous than a weld breaking.

The reality is that I haven't been argumentative. There are some great helpful people here like Sonora and Pss N Gas and a others. However, there are also many people here that are elitists who seem to believe they are raised higher than mortal man by the fact that they are a *gasp* professional welder. The reality is that they know a trade pretty well, though there is always someone that knows it better, and they can answer a few questions. That just makes them useful to others, not gods. If you ask me a question on Java, I wont act like you are a complete moron for asking the question and not knowing the answer. I will simply answer the question. Even if you asked me a question about something that could lead to a dangerous situation, I would merely calmly explain why it was a bad idea and back it up with fact.

If someone asks a question here there is a toss up between whether you will get a useful answer or someone will say "OMG you suck that you don't know that, never touch another piece of metal again you moron." If Sonora or Pass N Gas answer you, you will likely get useful information backed up by facts, references or pictures. If some others, who I wont name, answer you, you will likely get their ego self-stroking of the day. They are behind the internet, behind the cloak of anonymity and many people react to that by being jerks. And god forbid if you step on their own pissing ground as I did with my opinion of MIG welding. Instead of disagreeing, many people take the tact of trying to destroy anyone that disagrees. I know at least 3 professional welders with dozens of years of experience that share my opinion of MIG welding and in fact influenced my opinion but that doesn't matter if you tread on someone's pissing ground.

This dynamic is no different than any other forum I have seen on the internet. That is why I largely dismiss the annoying elitist, know-it-all people without a second thought. Sometimes it is amusing that they have the arrogance to think that they can affect my life when they are, in the end, just some anonymous person across the internet with absolutely no effect on my life.

Comment

kraythe, you have several good points!
                        I truly don’t understand why some like to jump on the new guy, but honestly you should see a job site. I have a nickname for this type on the job site, “Wolf Pack”! They see a weak spot, and they’re on it like white on rice.
                        Caution!

Comment

Mig sucks- I don't know why Miller even bothers making any

Ed Conley
                          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                          TA185
                          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                          O/A set
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Actually computer errors could wipe out entire cities power grids, cause a whole city to be destroyed, destroy billions of dollars in financial transactions and even, yes, hurt someone personally. Failures in computer programs are far more dangerous than a weld breaking.

The reality is that I haven't been argumentative. There are some great helpful people here like Sonora and Pss N Gas and a others. However, there are also many people here that are elitists who seem to believe they are raised higher than mortal man by the fact that they are a *gasp* professional welder. The reality is that they know a trade pretty well, though there is always someone that knows it better, and they can answer a few questions. That just makes them useful to others, not gods. If you ask me a question on Java, I wont act like you are a complete moron for asking the question and not knowing the answer. I will simply answer the question. Even if you asked me a question about something that could lead to a dangerous situation, I would merely calmly explain why it was a bad idea and back it up with fact.

If someone asks a question here there is a toss up between whether you will get a useful answer or someone will say "OMG you suck that you don't know that, never touch another piece of metal again you moron." If Sonora or Pass N Gas answer you, you will likely get useful information backed up by facts, references or pictures. If some others, who I wont name, answer you, you will likely get their ego self-stroking of the day. They are behind the internet, behind the cloak of anonymity and many people react to that by being jerks. And god forbid if you step on their own pissing ground as I did with my opinion of MIG welding. Instead of disagreeing, many people take the tact of trying to destroy anyone that disagrees. I know at least 3 professional welders with dozens of years of experience that share my opinion of MIG welding and in fact influenced my opinion but that doesn't matter if you tread on someone's pissing ground.

This dynamic is no different than any other forum I have seen on the internet. That is why I largely dismiss the annoying elitist, know-it-all people without a second thought. Sometimes it is amusing that they have the arrogance to think that they can affect my life when they are, in the end, just some anonymous person across the internet with absolutely no effect on my life.
                            I don't think anyone gives a rats a$$ about what you do. There are plenty of people on this board with better qualifications and credentials.

They may be responding to you in particular manner based on the threads you have started on this board as well as weldingweb.
                            Millermatic Passport Plus
                            Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                            XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
                            Dynasty 300 DX
                            Thermal Arc 400 MST
                            Victor O/A
                            Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

"Literary Masterpiece"

Originally posted by crawler View Post
                              I don't think anyone gives a rats a$$ about what you do. There are plenty of people on this board with better qualifications and credentials.

They may be responding to you in particular manner based on the threads you have started on this board as well as weldingweb.
                              Crawler: In two sentences you summed it all up!

Comment

"Reality Check"

Failures in computer programs are far more dangerous than a weld breaking.
                                I'll try and remember that next time an earthquake hits L.A., or terrorists decide to fly jetliners into skyscrapers

Comment

Working...
                                X