Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

making a mild steel plate convex

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a mild steel plate convex

I'm working on a project in which I have an 1/8 inch oval shaped steel plate that I need to put a slight convexity in from top to bottom and left to right. Don't have any special equipment though except a press. Any ideas?

You need to find someone with a heavy duty english wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Bunyard View Post
      I'm working on a project in which I have an 1/8 inch oval shaped steel plate that I need to put a slight convexity in from top to bottom and left to right. Don't have any special equipment though except a press. Any ideas?
      Heat the center with an oxytorch until it is cherry red then use a sponge full of water and cool it rapidly. This will cause the plate to bend. The metal where it is cooled rapidly shrinks, drawing in the sides. Repeat until you get the proper bend.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Bunyard View Post
        An English wheel would be ideal as long as there's no scale on your material . . . unless the anvil (small wheel) is hardened. Are you near Dayton, OH?

How smooth / consistent does the surface need to be? You could also hammer the center of the plate against a hard surface, lots of small hits. That will thin the material, making it expand in length. Since the outside is constrained, the center will bow and create the concave surface you want. A torch will also work, but you need to shrink the outside of the plate, not the inside, or you will just cause it to buckle.

Jim

Comment

How about putting it on a shot or sand bag and hammering to get the shape you want? Mike

Comment

Grind the shape you want into a stump - like a bowl.

Place steel over the whole, hit with hammer, repeat...........

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
              How about putting it on a shot or sand bag and hammering to get the shape you want? Mike
              Ive seen this done, amazing what some people can do with a wood / rubber / rawhide mallet, and a sand bag. Oh and a lot of patience!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                Ive seen this done, amazing what some people can do with a wood / rubber / rawhide mallet, and a sand bag. Oh and a lot of patience!
                I think it would depend on the thickness of the plate. For 1/8th it would work. For 1 inch, no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by kraythe View Post
                  For 1 inch, no chance.
                  Just get a bigger hammer!

http://www.ent.ohiou.edu/~raub/manuf...ng/forging.htm

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
                    1/8" steel is difficult to hammer form. Give it a shot sometime.

Comment

Maybe Harbor Freights sells these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IN6UhGSZE

Comment

This bulldog is roughly 30" tall and across and is made of 10 gauge hot rolled. It is raised in the center about 2 1/2". I did it with a large rounding hammer while cold on a block of wood. I just raised one end and would hammer down on the section that was right above the wood, or set it between two blocks and hammer down in between them. Lots of lighter hits will net you a better shape than hard hits.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck U&R View Post
                          Grind the shape you want into a stump - like a bowl.

Place steel over the whole, hit with hammer, repeat...........
                          That seems like a pretty good idea,It seems like it would make it pretty easy if you heated the area dull red before hammering .A gas cylinder cap makes a nice round hammer with a handle welded to it.Mike

Comment

Recycle the endcap from an old unserviceable propane or air tank? Just look for one with the approximate curve you want.

Comment

"That seems like a pretty good idea" - Thanks.

That's probably how they would do it here -

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/index.php

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.