The requirements of the project prior to starting were to build a trailer that will haul my truck, as follows:
1. 10,000# GVW
2. New tires, new wheels, new axles, new lights (I hate working on old crap somebody else didn't take care of)
3. Long enough to haul my truck and my quad at the same time.
4. Lighter than any 10,000# GVW trailer you can buy (excluding aluminum)
5. Less than $2000 invested
6. Done in two weeks.
Impossible you say? Nope!
So...... I got to looking around and found a camper frame, brand new with 5200# axles (brakes on both), steel wheels, load range C tires, 2-5/16" coupler tongue jack, and safety chains. Made from 2x8x1/8" tubing at the front and 2x8x3/16" i-beam with some worthless crossers in the middle. I couldn't pass it up for only $1300 - you can't even buy the parts for anywhere near that.
So here are the pics when it came home, still complete with camper steps and everything. The only thing done to it at this point is I added the weight distributing hitch hookups on the tongues.
Phase 1 (just to get me through the summer):
1. Remove crossbars and replace with tubing
2. Beef up back
3. Provisions for ramps
6. treated deck
7. crappy paint job
Phase 2 (this winter)
1. Make fenders
2. Sandblast and paint when all the changes are done