Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Studs

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Studs

I want to press some wheel studs into some 1/4 x 4 in flat bar.
    The knurled shoulder diameter is .575 in.
    What should the hole diameter be drilled to?

i would use a 9/16" hole. 9/16= .5625"

Comment

if its a 1/2" stud and you want it to stay.
      17/32"( .531)

The knurl is suppost to keep it from turning. I know one guy will push em into a 1/2" hole just to make sure. Over kill.

Comment

The stud is 7/16-20.

Comment

I looked at some wheel studs we have here.
          There is a section right in front of the knurl that is clean.

drill the hole that size.

Comment

do it the easy way and drill it a size bigger then weld it in place

Comment

Originally posted by m.k.swelding View Post
              do it the easy way and drill it a size bigger then weld it in place
              That could possibly be the worst advice I have ever seen on this or any other forum.

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                That could possibly be the worst advice I have ever seen on this or any other forum.

Griff
                why.......?

Comment

I've seen worse.........

Comment

For my application it could work but I'd rather press it in.
                    I could just bolt it but that would make it too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                      why.......?
                      My guess is the welded stud would be more prone to cracking due to the HAZ under load than a press fit.Mike

Comment

why.......?
                        Surely you do not need that explained.

Griff

Comment

Actually I do. Does anyone even know what the OP is doing with the wheel studs. If they were talking about replacing studs on a car or trailer part I would agree welding would not be the way.
                          That certaintly is NOT the worst advice I've seen on this forum.
                          Nick

Comment

It's going thru 1/4" x 4" flat bar, not much for the knurl part to hold on to maybe 2 tacks wouldn't be a bad idea. It wouldn't hurt anything that's for sure

Comment

why.......?
                              On many cars the wheel is centered by the the studs. If you allow the studs to float around you will loose that. Not sure what tolerances matter, but lets just say most hubs are machined to better than .001. .001 is the kind of runout a good set of brake rotors (which sit on top of the hub) have when bolted to the hubs.

The bolts are heat treated. You want to mess with that?

Anyway:

From this page: http://www.arp-bolts.com/FAQ/Answers.html

"To determine what drill size you need for your wheel studs, you will need to know your axle/hub material and the wheel stud knurl diameter. If your axle/hub material is cast iron/steel your drill size will be .005˝ less than the knurl diameter. If your axle/hub material is aluminum, your drill size will be .007˝ less that the knurl diameter. The Wheel Studs Section in the catalog shows the knurl diameter sizes."

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.