Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would u build a boat ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how would u build a boat ?

ok boys need some ideas.
    how would u build a cheap flat bottom jon boat.
    I am disabled vet short on money and know how.

what would be cheap aluminum,tin or what would be good/cheap

what kind of welder could i use ? / cheap ?

the boat would need to be 16 foot and atleast 60 inchs across.

I think Id be looking at marine grade plywood, and fiberglass.
    Material cost is less, and tool up will be a whole lot less!

Comment

boat

if i were you i would buy a used boat.

Comment

man u taking all the fun out of it with wood.

what about strong barn tin ?
        and a tig welder ?

40 years ago we made one out of pickup hoods worked great .

Comment

Originally posted by RGO View Post
          man u taking all the fun out of it with wood.

what about strong barn tin ?
          and a tig welder ?

40 years ago we made one out of pickup hoods worked great .
          You were the one wanting to do it on the cheap. There is nothing cheap / inexpensive about welding / metal fabrication!

To start with: Id draw up my design; get a parts breakdown with measurements. Shop for the best price to have all the material sheared.
          If you have your heart set on aluminum, look into a small 200-amp Mig machine with a spool gun.

Comment

All you have to do is order the material and cut out the correct shapes.
            Tack it all together first and then weld it.
            Your sizes chosen would be very nice. I would use .100 5052 aluminum.
            You would be fine using the MM211 with the spoolgun.
            You will probably have $2500-3000 invested by the time you are finished but when done you will still have the machine and can make more for you buddies.
            Make 3 and you should be able to just about break even
            Send pics as you go and keep us posted.
            BTW.....B.O.A.T. stands for break out another thousand, so forget cheap altho what I have shown you would be resonable and strong as he!! if you can fabricate worth a hoot

Comment

I would look for used boat also.

Comment

Sheetmetal and some light sq tubing. But since i was a sheetmetal worker that would be like a giant piece of duct work with the top cut out...Bob

Comment

Steel would be a crappy material for a SMALL boat that needs to be moved by hand.... by the time you made it lightweight enuff to handle it would be flimsy. And it can rust unless you dipped in paint or galvanize afterward.
                  That is why they make them out of aluminum.
                  Fiberglass and wood are also much heavier as well.
                  Big boats are a different story altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                    Steel would be a crappy material for a SMALL boat that needs to be moved by hand.... by the time you made it lightweight enuff to handle it would be flimsy. And it can rust unless you dipped in paint or galvanize afterward.
                    Yup you are right but when you put "U" and "cheap" in the same sentence thats how "I" would do it with what i have the resources for. Now if he said how should "I" build a good boat for x amount of bucks i would have a different answer. I worked in an old plant that made small steel boats many years ago and i saw how they were made so i could do one and it would be made from Galv sheet just like the duct work i welded for 12 hours a day at one time. Just my thoughts yours will be different.
                    Of coures mine wouldn't be this pretty but some good reading here... Bob
                    http://www.speedboatclassics.com/mul...teel_boats.htm

Comment

I use to have a neighbor who could come home from work on a Friday night with materials in his pickup, build one of these from start to finish. By the next morning he would be setting in the swamp with his 12-gauge waiting for daylight!

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                        Yup you are right but when you put "U" and "cheap" in the same sentence thats how "I" would do it with what i have the resources for. Now if he said how should "I" build a good boat for x amount of bucks i would have a different answer. I worked in an old plant that made small steel boats many years ago and i saw how they were made so i could do one and it would be made from Galv sheet just like the duct work i welded for 12 hours a day at one time. Just my thoughts yours will be different.
                        Of coures mine wouldn't be this pretty but some good reading here... Bob
                        http://www.speedboatclassics.com/mul...teel_boats.htm
                        Man......that's freekin' Sweet
                        I'll need to read that over again real slow. Thanks

Comment

1st boat?

GOOD

FAST

CHEAP

You can pick any two. But the other one won't fit in the equation. I wish I could say I made it up. But somebody else told it to me and it's been printed on thousands of placards for display in many an office. Needless to say it's still true.

How "cheap" do you want to make a boat that you would ride in? Or your family members? Better you make this one pretty well, I think.

Some one spooling up for the first time on aluminum and attempting to make a safe boat in the process of learning to weld aluminum....well that seems to me a bit of a stretch. Good luck with it, though.

Comment

Cheapest?
                            Put the word out that you're looking for a old boat that doesn't run,
                            be patient, and people will give them to ya just for hauling them out of their yard.

Most will be fiberglass with a rotten floor & transom, and on trailers that have sunk into the ground.
                            But a couple sheets of plywood, new tires & a paint job-- ya got a boat.

I've also seen decent looking Alum. boats in the scrap yard.
                            They normally sell for about 1 & 1/2 times what the scrap dealer paid for them.

Another source is the auctions they have at the larger Goodwill stores.
                            I've seen old but quite 'fixable' boats sell for $1-200, trailer included.

Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-29-2010, 12:16 AM.

Comment

how would u build a boat ?

RGO,

I think this is a larger aluminum boat than you are asking about, but I think this is an interesting read.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=29094

Have a good read,

Jerel

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.