Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building and outdoor wood boiler

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building and outdoor wood boiler

I just finished welding the water jacket for the boiler. I had no major leaks but many pinhole leaks and i was wondering if anyone had any idea's on what i could put on the welds or in the water to stop the pinhole leaks. Thanks.

http://www.barsproducts.com/barsleaks_products.htm

Comment

http://www.hubbabubba.com/index.aspx...ign=hubbabubba

Comment

You might want to consider V- grooving the welds out and having a professional weld it.

You might also want to consider an unpressurized boiler if your not a pro.

Pressurized boilers can kill if you dont do things right.

I know a guy that had a portion of his blow up so he now runs it without pressure.

Good luck.

Comment

hubbabubba will just make larger bubbles, can't speak for it's holding power.

Comment

Originally posted by johnosu1 View Post
            I just finished welding the water jacket for the boiler. I had no major leaks but many pinhole leaks and i was wondering if anyone had any idea's on what i could put on the welds or in the water to stop the pinhole leaks. Thanks.
            The pinholes are called "porosity" and it means it was not welded properly.

It needs to be ground out or cut out with a torch, properly prepared, and re-welded.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
              The pinholes are called "porosity" and it means it was not welded properly.

It needs to be ground out or cut out with a torch, properly prepared, and re-welded.
              I agree 110% with Bodybagger. They should be ground out and re-welded. Putting something in the water is not the 'right' way to fix it.

Comment

Its a very good thing that u have the brains and the ***** to tackle a project such as a boiler. Based on whatever design you have created though, you have the potential for a very serious explosion and knowing the limits of your skill could save your life and or property. Have u installed any kind of pressure relief or is there any built in redundancy in your design. For your own safety and piece of mind, groove out and reweld or have it professionally welded.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
                  hubbabubba will just make larger bubbles, can't speak for it's holding power.
                  These bubbles are actually a Safety-Micro-Containment-Device..

Once all of the water from the boiler filled the S-M-C-D's there would be no more leaks or any chances of the boiler blowing up when the heat is applied to the system...
                  Last edited by Pass-N-Gas; 01-30-2010, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Loctite 290 (green wicking grade)

You can coat the inside and outside of the weld with loctite 290 as it will wick into the porosity - penetrate deep - and seal it up both air and water tight; but I would only suggest this in a maintenance capacity as a quick temporary fix on something un-pressurized. It will take boiling water temps no-problem but you throw pressure into the mix and it will blow out the weakest link.

You could drain it and dry out the welds by heating them up a little with a rosebud torch, then squirt on the loctite 290 and it will wick right in and seal up. Although, considering you are building something new, you should re-do it right.
                    Last edited by t1113rs; 01-31-2010, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.