Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding the correct angle

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding the correct angle

Im trying to build a set of ramps for a heavy duty truck to drive on. Im using 4" X 4" X 1/4 square tubing. the length is 12' and the height is 2' 6" with a 4' deck on top for the rear axles. I need to find the formula to achieve the correct angle for the incline. thank you in advance for any help.

4'
    ███████████

2' 6" █

████████████████████████████████████████████
    12'

Is this what you’re after?
    Attached Files

Comment

Delta=17 21'14"
      or the arctan of 2.5 / 8
      was my guess because it looked like the top was 4'
      otherwise it's the arctan of 2.5 / 12 = 11 46'06"
      Last edited by UH60LCHIEF; 01-22-2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

With 4-foot height.
        Attached Files

Comment

I Concur with UH60LCHIEF on the Delta
          The hypotenuse for 8’ x 2’-6” would be 8’ - 3 13/16” Delta of 17 21’ 14”
          The formula is the Law of Sin

Fab Tech

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
            Is this what you’re after?
            You forgot to subtract his 4' deck from the 12' overall length.

Comment

Or you could just snap a couple chalk lines on the shop floor & measure it.

Comment

Originally posted by FabTech View Post
                I Concur with UH60LCHIEF on the Delta
                The hypotenuse for 8’ x 2’-6” would be 8’ - 3 13/16” Delta of 17 21’ 14”
                The formula is the Law of Sin

Fab Tech
                There's a whole pile of different ways to solve a trig problem. I just used ARCTAN theta (or Tan ^-1) of the ratio of the sides Opposite / adjacent, but law of sines does the trick just the same. You could use Pythagorean theorem to solve the hypotenuse and use any number of other functions as well. There's always like a million ways to skin a cat with a trig problem. Or like MMW said you could just snap a few chalk lines and break out a protractor. My calculator just happened to be sitting right there when I read it. Either way I hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
                  You forgot to subtract his 4' deck from the 12' overall length.
                  I was a little confused on exactly what he was trying to do! And the drawing wasn’t real clear, to me anyway.

http://www.analyzemath.com/Geometry_...alculator.html

Comment

Ramps

Thanks for all the replies. Im trying to save to got to welding school so I can eventually answer my own questions. The ramps have to have a 4' deck for the rear axles. Purpose being that the heavy duty truck is a industrial vacuum truck that has to offload into a 25 yard roll off container.
                    Last edited by XLMFAB; 01-23-2010, 08:43 AM.

Comment

I find this construction calculator to come in handy for thing like this.
                      Put in the rise and the run it calculates angle and the length of the unknown.
                      http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ion+calculator

Rick C

Comment

Sweet

On my way to Sears now!

Comment

Originally posted by XLMFAB View Post
                          Thanks for all the replies. Im trying to save to got to welding school so I can eventually answer my own questions. The ramps have to have a 4' deck for the rear axles. Purpose being that the heavy duty truck is a industrial vacuum truck that has to offload into a 25 yard roll off container.
                          Is this what you’re trying to do? How are you going to brace that ramp? Then how are you going to move them, with the square tube weighing in at 12.21 pounds per foot?
                          Attached Files

Comment

My guess is they will be sitting in one spot all the time right by the dumpster.

Comment

ramps

Almost Sonora Iron. Where the incline begins it sits flush on the floor. and the bottom rail butts up to the bottom, begin point of the incline overall height is 2' 10"

Actually the will be able to be loaded and moved with a roll off truck. the same truck that can move the roll off containers. They will be able to slide on the rails of the roll off truck. The wench from the truck hooks on to a hook welded inbetween the incline end of the ramp. I braced the platform end where the rear axles sit with a 4'' x 4" x 1' 10" brace and a brace on the incline as well. I will post a picture tomorrow.
                              Last edited by XLMFAB; 01-23-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.