No announcement yet.

Sizing an I-Beam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to run on that was on a tractor 3 point also. You only had to lift the logs the height of the I-Beam. The problem with that one was that it required two operators. One moving the wood, and another on the tractor operating the hydraulic controls. We now use a verticle splitter. It's about the same trouble moving the logs. The nice thing about the horizontal on the ground was the split logs and little pieces of trash fell away very easily. With the vertical you have to clean out the trash every so often. The other nice thing about the tractor mounted one was you just raise the 3 point, move it where ever you needed, and drop it down. Move the tractor.. not the logs. The verticle one is on a trailer, but you have to unpin the beam and repin it in the horizontal position to move it.

I would never use a horizontal splitter that was up in the air. Way too much lifting.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE

Comment

Got a skid steer?

My dad has a wood fired boiler that heats his house, (it can handle pretty big pieces of wood). I made him a log splitter that is a skid loader attachment. Runs off the aux. hydro. you just drive up to the piece of wood, set the splitter on top of it and push a buttom. Beats rolling around 3'X 18'' logs
      '08 F-350
      Vantage 400
      SA-250
      SA-200
      Invertec V350Pro
      Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
      Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
      Track torch

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
        Now that’s a great idea!

I would think someone with a handle like “Strength and Power” wouldn’t even think of an easy way, well at least for a few more years!
        In powerlifting, it is all about moving maximum weight efficiently. I also move safes and vaults. you learn quickly to come up with ways to do things with minimal effort
        Miller 350P
        Miller Econotig
        Milwaukee Dry saw
        Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
        Scotchman 350 cold saw
        7x12 bandsaw
        1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
        fridge full of adult beverages
        Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
        callouses and burns a plentysigpic

Comment

Here are photos of a neighbor's splitter that I reconditioned a few years ago. Hope they provide some ideas for anyone wanting to build. 8hp B&S engine. I've spit many cords with it... rolling logs onto the base sure beats lifting.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Goodhand; 02-16-2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
            Here are photos of a neighbor's splitter that I reconditioned a few years ago. Hope they provide some ideas for anyone wanting to build. 8hp B&S engine. I've spit many cords with it... rolling logs onto the base sure beats lifting.
            What size is the I-Beam and do you know what tonnage the cylinder is rated at?
            Miller Syncrowave 200
            Homemade Water Cooler
            130XP MIG
            Spectrum 375
            60 year old Logan Lathe
            Select Machine and Tool Mill
            More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
              I don't, as yet, have the specs, but I'll try to post measurements, since I'm planning to build one, too. I have a couple of 6" I-beams to put into service in either a splitter or press.

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
                The I-beam is 10"x4.5"x74". The foot is channel - 9"x3.5"x28". I don't know how the cylinder is rated, but is 4"x24". Wedge is 9"x11.5"x1.5". Outside wheel to outside wheel is 6'.

Comment

i have no idea if this is possible but just a concept.

could you get a 12v hydraulic pump for like a car trailer to run a cyclinder? if it would work you could power it off a 7 pin plug on your lights? no motor to start / not start gas noise ect. would be sweet if it would work. but maybe it wont or someone else would have thought of it before.

Comment

Working...
                  X