Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1966 Sunbeam Tiger

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Sunbeam Tiger

This is a Sunbeam Tiger that i built at work. It has a 427 side oiler crammed in it. I built the frame , roll cage rear suspension, rockers and some of the tin work. I wish that i would have taken more pictures of it during the build.

Here it is at Autorama last year

That came out very nice. Is it just for show? I don't see how you'll ever get that much power to the ground on such a small car.

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
      That came out very nice. Is it just for show? I don't see how you'll ever get that much power to the ground on such a small car.
      I think the owner plans on driving it on the street. I'm not sure how much power it makes but it shouldn't be too bad. i drove a different Tiger last summer, pretty similar to this one with a 430 HP 347 Ford. It hooked up suprisingly well and still handled like a go kart. I put about 200 miles on it in one day. What a blast that was

Comment

Here is the other Tiger before it got painted.

I will have to take some finished pictures of this one next week

Comment

Sick car, I remember seeing it at Autorama. This is the one in Hot Rod this month, right? I didn't realize the history of these cars until I read the article, very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by jdustu View Post
            Sick car, I remember seeing it at Autorama. This is the one in Hot Rod this month, right? I didn't realize the history of these cars until I read the article, very cool.
            Yeah, Hot Rod did an article on it. I didn,t know it was out yet though. i will have to go pick one up.

Comment

Originally posted by 6pakdakota View Post
              Yeah, Hot Rod did an article on it. I didn,t know it was out yet though. i will have to go pick one up.
              I just got it in the mail a couple days ago, it's got a 5th gen Camaro "Trans Am" on the cover. Overall a really interesting issue.

Comment

Very nice workmenship, I was wondering if ya started with a tiger or an alpine on those builds.

Comment

Excellent work my friend!!!

It's cool that the car you helped build is in a publication such as Hot Rod. I quit my subscription to the magazine back in the early 80's when it seemed more about the chics in bikinis than the cars. I bought the magazine to see the cars, if I had wanted to see chics I'd have bought Playboy.

The 427 side oilers RULE!!! I had 2 66 Fairlane GT(R)'s and in that heavy body they were fast right from the factory, I can imagine what it'd do in a Tiger. This is along the lines of a project Carrol Shelby did back in the early 60's when the Cobra was introduced. You have to be part engineer, part fabricator, part welder and part body man to pull something like this off. My hat is off to you! And I got razzed like he(double hockey sticks) when I crammed a side oiler into a 68 Chevelle body, which wasn't too great of a feat since there was tons of room to put the engine. Everyone said I screwed up a perfectly good Chevelle body but I told them it was more like I ruined the side oiler.

At any rate I wanted to congratulate you on the car getting into Hot Rod magazine and say a job well done!!! Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                    Very nice workmenship, I was wondering if ya started with a tiger or an alpine on those builds.

the first one was an alpine. the second one is a real tiger

Comment

i just picked up the new hot rod and they didn't give the shop i work for any credit for the build. that kinda stinks. oh well.

Comment

for us that don't know - what is a side oiler and what makes it special?

Comment

that looks realy nice

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
                            for us that don't know - what is a side oiler and what makes it special?
                            The Ford 427 side oiler was a completely redesigned 427 cubic inch (7 L), cross-bolted FE engine block that first debuted in 1965.[1]

[edit] Features and Unveiling
                            This internal combustion engine featured a generous oil gallery down the left-hand side of the engine block to keep the main bearings fully supplied with oil at high revolutions or RPM. The 427 side oiler used mechanical valve tappets, heavily favored for use in Caroll Shelby's AC cobra, the 427 side oiler not only offered tremendous power for the small amount of space allotted to the Cobra but better oil passageways improved durability on the track.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_427_side_oiler
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_FE_engine There is a little oil flow pic...
                            Last edited by aametalmaster; 01-16-2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

thanks for the info - good information

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.