Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob's Chevy Equinox Brush Guard project.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob's Chevy Equinox Brush Guard project.

Thought a few of you might dig this project. My son wacked a deer on his last trip home. Did like $6500 damage to his 06 Equinox. We are of the impression, had he had more light, he could have seen them sooner. and sometimes in Montana, late at night, you might drive for 2-3 hours without even seeing another car. SOOOooooo, he sourced up some decent 7" HID's and we made a brush guard for the Equinox to hold the lights. It's at paint now, we should be getting it back tomorrow. Something you don't see is an Equinox with some pimped out light bar.

Not designed as a bumper, just a way to hold the lights and a hoop over them so they don't get broken off accidentally in a parking lot. Mostly made out of 1.25 schedule 40.

I'm just a weekend warrior, don't do it for a living.

Here's the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3409832...7623212543828/

Last edited by vectorsolid; 02-01-2010, 07:44 PM.

Dynasty 700?

Comment

My wife loves me.

Comment

LOOKS great!! i want to build one for my truck.

Comment

the brush guard looks great. how did you form the caps for the ends of the tube?

Comment

Good job. Next time you want to wack a deer it would be a lot cheaper to hire a hit man from Chicago

Comment

looks real good. I liike your welds

Comment

Extremely nice job!

Mind showing some pictures of the bender you used?

Comment

i'd like to use SS tubing for a light bar for my truck. tac it together then have someone who can TIG real well sew it up for me and leave it as-is.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy_pop View Post
                    i'd like to use SS tubing for a light bar for my truck. tac it together then have someone who can TIG real well sew it up for me and leave it as-is.
                    Practice and you can TIG it yourself. At least for me stainless is the easiest of the metals to weld. It's not that hard to get the hang of welding stainless, just keep practicing and you'll get it.

Comment

Originally posted by 6pakdakota View Post
                      the brush guard looks great. how did you form the caps for the ends of the tube?
                      You can buy them. Anyplace that has weld on pipe fittings should have them.

Comment

Looks great! You did a great job on the project.

I have but one question. Those are rather large lights and placed in front of the grille. I'm wondering is that going to adversely affect the cooling during the hot summer months? The vehicle appears in the photo to have a rather small grille area.

Comment

I was worried about the cooling as well. But there is a LOT of grill opening to each side, above and below down by the spoiler. When you see it in person, it's a non-issue. Plenty of air hits it. We were going to put a skid plate on it... THAT, we thought would keep the air from getting in there. so we didn't do it.

On the bends, Tube shark. On the main LONG roll of the bar that matches the bumper, baleigh roll bender.

Should be able to pick it uip from the paint shop today!!!!! Can't wait!!!!

Appreciate the kind words.

Comment

Will you put rock guards on the lights. Would look good I think. Very nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                              Will you put rock guards on the lights. Would look good I think. Very nice job!
                              Lights have very thick, lexan covers, very protected.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.