No announcement yet.

Freestanding work bench for my garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could weld the gaps, but it would eat up time and consumables -- and wouldn't make a significant difference in the way the piece functions structurally. I'll probably just use some filler.

Even with the gaps, you could climb up and jump on that piece and it would be plenty strong enough to support you. 2" tubing is strong stuff.
    Jack Olsen
    The Garage (And its slideshow)
    The Car (And its slideshow)

Comment

Very nice, I would never have thought to bend that tube like you did with the round tube dies and notching the tube. Your shop just looks to nice to work in, your work bench looks like it should be a dinner table. as neat as I try to be I wouldn't want anybody seeing how bad my shop looks.
      "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks. But 'too nice?'

Well, some of the time it's cleaned up. But not all the time:

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM.
        Jack Olsen

Comment

I can still see the floor and theres a walkable path, LOL. Now its beginning to look like a shop.
          "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello Jack,

It does look good. The arch looks nice, but seems like a lot of extra work for a work bench. I also think it isn't as practical as a parallel horizontal member would have been, for example clamping something to, etc.

Any particular reason for the arched members?

Unless it's for aesthetics/interesting looks, I tend to go with the least work for the most practical results...

One reason for having the legs go right to the tabletop with the horizontal members in between is (with a steel-topped table that is), if you need to pound a bit on something you place the object to be persuaded directly over the leg post so as to eliminate flexing/rebound and therefore maximize the effect of the blows for more precision. JMO.

Marcel
            "If you build it, they will come!"

Comment

Thanks, Marcel. This was partly for aesthetics. Since it faces out of the garage, it's the first thing you'd see -- I figured it might as well look a little different. Also, it was a chance to learn a little about bending a piece of steel in a no-pressure, no-stakes situation. If it didn't work, I had a spare piece ready to go in as a horizontal.

This won't be a heavy pounding table -- I don't think the Maple would hold up to that. Five feet away I've got an inch-thick piece of plate on top of a Strong Hold cabinet all set up for heavy persuasion.

Jack Olsen

Comment

That makes sense all around then!

CHEERS!
                "If you build it, they will come!"

Comment

Another very nice job Jack, your Projects around your home are outstanding.............

Comment

Work Bench

Jack,

Excellent Job!

Steve

Comment

that looks realy great. I like the way it all fell togather

Comment

Thanks.

It's getting closer. The paint looks light in this picture, but it matches the rest of the steel in the garage. I also stained the Maple very dark. The varnish is drying, here, but it's a satin finish, so it won't look too 'furniture-y.'

Jack Olsen

Comment

Table

Very nice Job!
                          Bill

Miller Mig 130XP
                          Linde VI206 W/Mig
                          Miller Econotig
                          L Tec Plasma PCM32i
                          Pneumtic Forging Hammer 75#
                          Mechanical Forging Hammer 65#
                          Propane Forge
                          Makita Chop Saw
                          Bader 72" Belt Grinder
                          Bader Knockoff 72" Belt Grinder
                          Milwaukee Portoband

Comment

Great Table

Nice design.
                            Mountain Metal
                            Dynasty 200 DX
                            Coolmate 1
                            Miller Trailblazer 302 W/ Kohler
                            Miller Suitcase 12VS Wire feeder
                            Weldcraft 26 TIG Torch
                            Miller 210
                            Spoolmate 3035
                            Thermal Dynamics 51 Plasma
                            Victor O/A
                            Jet 7x12 L Cooled Band Saw
                            Delta Drill Press
                            Dewalt Chop

Comment

The Table

The first thought that came to mind was AWESOME! I looked at those benders at Harbor frieght . I am seriously thinking of buying one. Looks like it worked pretty well for you. I make a lot of artistic window grills for people who want security but don't want their house etc, to look like it's Fort Knox. The bender would take a lot of the maual labor out of my arched tops. I bought a demo tube bender from Harbor Frieght and it works great got the whole shooting match for under 60 bucks. They just wanted to unload it. Guess being in the right place at the right time with ready cash got me a great buy.

I think like an artist so your table is right in tune with something I would build . I have pratical work pieces but its always nice to show off your artistic side lol! So whatca gonna build next. I'll be watching.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. I'm no artist -- not by a long stretch. But I usually end up with a curve or an arch in most of the things I build. It's a throwback to a half pipe my father helped me build when I was 12. It's a simple thing, but...

...it shows up in the cabinet above that bench:

And in the roofs of the sheds I built for my driveway:

And in the wall unit for the nursery when my son was born:

Lots of curves.

I'll probably get a lot of use out of this roll bender. KT WELDOR, if you're patient you can usually find it at HF for $149 on sale. If you add a 20% coupon you get off the internet, it comes down to about $120. The round tubing dies that come with it are labeled wrong -- they're actually 1", 1.5" and 2". The 1/2" square tubing die sets go down to $39 on sale. One of these days, I'm going to figure out how to widen one of them for 1" square tubing.
                                Jack Olsen

Comment

Working...
                                X