Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

3cr12

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3cr12

started using 3cr12 metal last week and wanted to know if anyone has any experience on it or heard anything about it thanks

Is that the utility SS out of American Utility Metals? If so I just quoted a job with it. I was told it's very weldable with 309SS.

Have you done anything with it yet? If so let me know.

Thanks

Comment

we are using ER08L stainless wire and 98/2 argon/co2. and it works ok..

Comment

that was ER308L...my welding is better than my typing i hope

Comment

How does this stuff weld? Clean? Distortion? Shrink alot?

Have you formed or worked with it?

I had to quote a 1/2" thick 14"wide ring 41.5OD rolled & welded.

Comment

In terms of welding think of 3CR12 as similar to a grade 50 strength carbon steel. It is a ferritic grade of stainless steel and so has similar physical properties as corbon steel (density, coefficient of thermal expansion etc). Typically shearing should be restricted to a maximum 1/4" thick, as thicker materials can suffer from shear break. Plasma cutting for thicker sections works very well.

As has been commented ER 308L consumables are good, and ER 316L and Er309L have also been used successfully. LSi versions of these wires are also good and can help with weld pool fluidity.

The shielding gas quoted is a good choice, Argon Helium mixes can also be used, and offer a better wetting action, but are generally more expensive.

Shrinkage should be similar to carbon steels as coeficients of thermal expansion are about the same.

Forming again is comparable to grade 50 type carbon steels. Forming radius' should not be less than equal to the material thickness up to and including 1/4" thick, above this the forming radius should be at least twice the thickness of the material.

While rings as described have been regularly made by rolling and welding, the size described may be better cut whole from a plate due to the smaller diameter and wide flange.

Comment

Before

I sold my big plate roll, i always left 6" for the flats,,It was a 1950 pyrimid roll.And I tacked it in Roll,,Then a couple pcs of 2 x2 x1/4 angle iron,tacked,and it never egged!!!!!!!!

When I bought the 300 ton press brake,we bumped the ends,and Bingo,,No Need to recut the 6" any more!!!!!

Comment

Hey Storts!

Email me your capabilities. I'm looking for a local shop to work on big parts. Your PM box is full. I found out today I need to roll the rings I mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.