Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

20ga Stainless

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20ga Stainless

So the GF wants me to hang a piece of "art" in the dining room. She loves the look achieved by using a 5" blending disc on stainless steel. The required size is 48" x 32". I know 18ga would hang nice and straight, but the weight kinda concerns me. Would some very light tig welding on the backside (for hanger attachments), cause the 20ga to distort? I can weld 18ga with no distortion, but have zero experience with 20ga material. Opinions?

If you clamp it nice and tight to a heavy piece of aluminum or copper to the back side, the heat will get sucked away and it will remain flat.

Won't likely burn through either.

If you don't do this, even a small spot/tack will deform the material. Super obvious on stainless because of the shine.

Comment

Guess a damp towel on the backside could take the place of the copper heat sink?

Comment

No, you need a real heat sink on something like this. A cold towel rag or towel will not suck up enough heat. You need a piece of copper or aluminum to draw the heat away. something as thin as 20ga will show any distortion very visibly. Try it on scrap piece first and see the results.
        Last edited by ivans; 01-05-2010, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ivans View Post
          No, you need a real heat sink on something like this. A cold towel rag or towel will not suck up enough heat. You need a piece of Copper of aluminum to draw the heat away. something as thin as 20ga will show any distortion very visibly. Try it on scrap piece first and see the results.
          Tank's for the tip, next time a weld tin stainless a remember this

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.