Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Ache Rack on a Budget

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Head Ache Rack on a Budget

    This is a budget build as the title states. I am using the scrap I have laying around. I have spent so far $0.00 to this point. I machined the mouting plate for the light bar (no pics). I cut the uprights out of 4x2 rect. 10gauge. I also cut the mounting plates for the bed. I had all this steel laying around. I already have the expanded metal (cage) to protect the glass laying around. I need to get a few feet of more 4x2 and some 3" flat. Here are some pics of what I have done so far.


    I was able to find the angle of the cab with this great tool. Digital anlgle finder.



    Then I cut calculated how high I want this thing to be and cut the uprights to the proper angle. Remember you are cutting from 90 degress. I wanted the uprights to be at 72 degrees so I made the cut at 18 degrees.



    Here is the upright.




    These are the 12x5x 1/4" base plate. Notice the holes in this stuff, again more scrap. These plates cover up the front stake pockets. So I will machine a hole in them so I do not loose the functionality of the stake pockets.


    T.J.

  • #2
    Machined the plates for the stake pocket and also did more simple geometry for the miter cut for the top piece. I mocked it up with wood. The digital level reads in 10ths. So you really can't get more level than that. Yay my math worked. Here are some pics. And, I still only have 40 bucks into this thing.
    T.J.







    Comment


    • #3
      More.



      Comment


      • #4
        I was able to tack it alltogether on the truck. Here it is in the garage.



        Clamped it to the bench for a full weld of the joints to eliminate movement.



        All tight and ready to weld.



        Full weld.

        Comment


        • #5
          Another shot. I also smoothed out the outside corners for painting.



          Stood the rack up on the bench and tacked it down for a full flange weld.



          Ready to go. Both sides are tacked to the bench.



          Full weld.

          Comment


          • #6
            Letting it cool fully. Had lunch.



            Mock up test fit. It did not move too much the bolts still line up...



            I will round the corners when ready.



            Shot from the back. I left it high because there willl be a light panel too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Outside corners are smoothed out.


              Made panels for the lights.


              Mocked up the rest of the lights and the strobe bar. **** Cepek lights ready.



              1/4 flat stock for the mounting tabs.




              Traced the mounting part for the **** Cepek light and transfer punched the hole.

              Comment


              • #8

                Drilled out both holes using a vice stop so I do not have to refigure the second part.




                A little cutting and sanding and all done. We don't need no water jet...




                Mounting tab and light mocked up for proper clearance.




                Ready to weld.

                Comment


                • #9

                  One down, one to go.




                  Second one done.




                  Another shot.




                  Yay the lights fit.



                  .

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Another mock up. Next up plasma cutting the expanded metal and welding it on the rack

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      More. Painted and did some wiring to my home made center console switch box. This will control the 6 head strobes front and rear independently as well as the "tractor lights" and "off-road" lights. I also have my plow controls mounted on here.
                      T.J.







                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Got it mounted on the truck and wired up (what a pain that was). Anyway, the holes I drilled in the plate for the bolts does not work. The head if the nuts or bolts from under the bed does not fit. The heads hit on the sides. Only the front bolt works. So I had to make a sandwich plate and bolt assembly the resembles a back rack bolt set up. I was able to find some bolts laying around and make this thing work. I just need to get some washers . T.J.




                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Pics and ready.



                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nice job and clean detail work!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Very nice !

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.