• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fdcmiami, "other poster" would like to know how you would have done this
    Attached Files
    life is good

Comment

The reason I ask is because my educated friends that I go to find out why what I've made works all told me that I couldn't do the double helix with what I had at hand.

One of the problems with education that I've found is educators. It's sad that they're the ones watching the gates of formal education. Their limits are supposed to be ours. And the reason they have limits is because that's what they've always studied.
      life is good

Comment

Another option, you could heat a series of ovals to make your radius. It will not be near as smooth as some of the previous ideas. Every heat zone will show, but may not matter for a corral project.

Some great ideas so far gentlemen keep them coming I am always interested in learning different ways of bending material!
        Caution!
        These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
          I am always interested in learning different ways of bending material!
          easy for me, I just weld it
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Hey Harv, that double helix thingy is my favorite thing you've come up with.

It took MS a couple of tries to get me the right number for you. Make sure you give him a hard for it. I'll give you a call tomorrow if you are going to be around.
            Millermatic 35
            Miller TB302G
            Ellis 1800
            Smith & Victor Torches
            Optrel Satellite
            Arcair K4000
            Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
            Home Made Welding Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by garybdavis View Post
              Hey Harv, that double helix thingy is my favorite thing you've come up with.

It took MS a couple of tries to get me the right number for you. Make sure you give him a hard for it. I'll give you a call tomorrow if you are going to be around.
              That will work Gary.

The next time you're in Plano at our friend's place check out the retaining system on the Plano Paper Sack Problem Solver. That's one of my favoritest things that I've lucked onto. Mostly because it works and I got to explain to some engineers that it was all about the angle of the dangle. I was treated like a smart butt until one of them said after they'd played with it a bit, "he's right. It is all about the angle of the dangle."
              life is good

Comment

pipe

if you would like to know how to lay out a helix; look into screw thread development. machinery's handbook is a good source. i am going to paste a link to the solution for a helix. look at it and try to think of the potential applications. this stuff has been around for a long time.

http://books.google.com/books?id=d5e...age&q=&f=false

Comment

pipe

in previous post i pasted a link for development of a screw thread; i just pulled up the first thing i found, i have no scanner at the moment. then i noticed a dimension is missing. to solve for c. the base line, you need the diameter of the cylinder. D. then, it's pi x dia = C. then use pythagorean theorem to solve for hypotenuse. this would be length of spiral.

fabrication procedure is up to you depending on job. i like this though i pulled it up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Ae27Mg740

Comment

pipe

yes, i am sure the were impressed with your intellectual prowess. lol

dna; christ, some of you kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by fdcmiami View Post

dna; christ, some of you kill me.
                      The "DNA" design is actually to the Point in this fence since it was for a Research Campus
                      Ed Conley
                      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                      MM252
                      MM211
                      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                      TA185
                      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                      O/A set
                      SO 2020 Bender
                      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

pipe

broccoli1, of course i get it. it was the delivery that cracked me up. i have a position in a publicly traded company called Genentech. look them up on the nyse, the symbol is DNA. no point in going any further with this thread.

have a good day'
                        fdc

Comment

Originally posted by fdcmiami View Post
                          well then maybe the sideboom operator should have responded instead of you.

another "reggie in wolf's clothing."
                          Nope.... Not Reggie.

He is his own personl, just as I am my own person. Try to keep it straight Brainiac.

Sideboom operator uses same principle I do - Multiple bends over a given distance, then go back over it again to tighten up the radius.

No napkins...

No Calculations....

No Condescending, Holier Than Thou Mouthpiece flapping his lips until he wakes up spitting out his chicklets...

Just taking the task in placed in front of you and doing it.

Real World. Real Time.

Now, this being the internet, and you being a self apponted Internet Welding Gawd... You may conduct yourself as you wish. You have already proven that you are a jerk-off, and a bit of an idiot, but that is up to you....

Most people that try to come across as Highly Intellectual, end up being clueless and arrogant. You are no different.

I wish you the best of luck on your project Gary, whichever method you choose.
                          Later,
                          Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Ae27Mg740

The video that the mouthpiece linked to is very, very neat to watch.

I especially like how they use a hydraulic ram and two dies (also known as a tubing bender or slip rolls depending on the shape of the dies) and add a motorized feed system (to convert the slip rolls into a proper ring roller) to produce the helix end product.

The mouthpiece "approves" the end machine that makes the end product.

A number of us proposed the intial machine, the tubing bender (or slip roll) as a solution to Gary's situation.... and we were told that we didn't KNOW what we were talking about.....

Just struck me as funny, and worth mentioning.

Have a Good Day!

LOL
                            Later,
                            Jason

Comment

Yes that was an interesting video, now what would be a neat trick is to straighten that tube / pipe out / return to original shape!
                              Caution!
                              These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

Comment

That would be one heck of a trick!... ESPECIALLY if it was TUBING!

I would pay admission to see that.

I have never seen slip rolls used successfully to reverse the process, but there are individuals out there WAY smarter and more experienced than I am.
                                Later,
                                Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X