Yard Art

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yard Art

This was one of my first TIG projects. It's a three dimensional stainless steel sculpture of our company logo. The logo is representative of our business - industrial controls automation - the arrows represent - up, down, in, out and round and round. They are the basic motions that all industrial machinery implements.

The construction is of 16 ga stainless steel sheet that was laser cut. Each facet is a separate piece of sheet. There was a lot or welding on this - nearly 100 linear feet of TIG weld. I got pretty good at it by the time I was done . The sphere came from a company in Wisconsin that makes ornamental stainless items - I decided I was not up to fabricating something like that. To give an idea of scale the sphere is 10" in diameter.

Between welding, grinding and finishing I calculate close to 100 hours of labor - way more than I envisioned when I started. It took close to a year of part time effort (weekends, evenings, etc) and a fair amount of barley and hops. It does get a good number of compliments so I guess it was worth it.

The PDF file shows the drawing the individual pieces that were laser cut from. The picture is of the completed project. The third file is the 3D file of the company logo.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ivans; 12-28-2009, 03:03 PM.
    Synchrowave 180
    Millermatic 210
    Spectrum 375

Very, very nice work!
    Jim

Comment

Wicked.......

Where can I order one?

Looks pretty sweet to me!
      So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Nice work, well done.

Does your company sell Banner sensors?

-Dan
        Owner
        DW Metalworks LLC
        Miller Trailblazer 302
        Miller 8RC Feeder
        Miller Passport Plus
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
        Hobart Handler 135
        Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
        Smith O/A Torch Set
        Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

Originally posted by engnerdan View Post
          Nice work, well done.

Does your company sell Banner sensors?

-Dan
          Dan,
          Actually we would be a consumer of Banner sensors. We do controls engineering, design, control panel fabrication, machine wiring, program and debug of PLC's, robots, etc. I'm VP of Sales and Operations - about 30 employees doing work all over the country and world. It's a fun business to be in, always something new. We have customers in the solar industry, energy - power and monitoring, recycling and still some automotive.

BTW, my name is Dan too
          Synchrowave 180
          Millermatic 210
          Spectrum 375

Comment

Ok, I work for banner, formerly designing vision sensors and lighting. I am not going to be just working with lighting, the EZ lights to machine vision lighting.

I myself have been involved with automation for several years, on the side besides my welding business I build a couple custom machines a year with a local machine shop. I most definatly is fun and exciting stuff.

-Dan
            Owner
            DW Metalworks LLC
            Miller Trailblazer 302
            Miller 8RC Feeder
            Miller Passport Plus
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
            Hobart Handler 135
            Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
            Smith O/A Torch Set
            Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

very good challenge to keep straight align the arrows weld at opposite side on a sphere. It,s a very nice looking logo
              Ricau
              XMT 304 cc/cv 208/480 volts
              Lincoln wire feeder LN-25 w/Contactor and Gas Solenoid, w/magnum 400 and 200 gun's (12 ft)
              Spoolmatic 30a w/Flex Head tube 10'' XRA
              Flexible Head Tig Torch w/Gas Valve (25 ft)
              Foot Control RFCS-14HD
              Side-to-side rotary-motion fingertip Current Control
              Miller process Selector Control w/external solenoid valve
              Stainless steel welding cart
              Makita LC1230 Dry cut saw
              sigpic
              www.ricau.ca

Comment

Originally posted by ricau View Post
                very good challenge to keep straight align the arrows weld at opposite side on a sphere. It,s a very nice looking logo
                Ricau
                Ricau,
                Yes it was a challenge to keep the arrows aligned. I had to build a couple of fixtures to align the arrows around the sphere - fixtures and clamps, a lot of tacking and then weld it up. The sphere is 12 ga and the arrows are 16 ga, I had to learn a few things along the way.

I had not tig welded anything but scraps before this project, but there was so much welding to do that I got pretty good at it by the time I was done.

Thanks for your comments.

Dan
                Synchrowave 180
                Millermatic 210
                Spectrum 375

Comment

Very impressive.

Comment

took a little time i bet

Comment

Wow!

It isn't a logo anymore, it's a work of art.

VERY good job.

Comment

Very cool Gotta love stainless

Comment

How did you make the sphere?

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                          Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                          "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                          "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                          "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
                            How did you make the sphere?
                            I bought the sphere, I did not have a lathe big enough or the experience to spin the two half spheres it is made of. I found a company in Wisconsin that makes ornamental stainless items like the sphere - I think I paid about $180 for it - seemed reasonable given the complexity of making your own.

It is made pf two half spheres welded together - they did a really nice job of making a full sphere.
                            Synchrowave 180
                            Millermatic 210
                            Spectrum 375

Comment

Working...
                            X