No announcement yet.

Material Selection Advice

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Selection Advice

I have a 5 X 8 trailer rated for 5200lbs. I need to permanently affix a 2500 lb piece of machinery to this trailer. It will need to sit 24" off the deck of the trailer. Can someone suggest what material to use to construct a "cage" on which to mount this machinery. 2x4 rectangle tubing has been suggested. Is that a little excessive? Any design advice would be greatly appreciated.

what are you it putting on it.

I need to place a wood fired oven on this trailer. Attached is a picture of what I'm trying to accomplish. I need to know what materials would be recommended to "frame" the brown enclosure you see in the pic. I want to be sure the fabricator I have hired is using proper material (both + and -).
      Thanks for responding. I appreciate the help.
      Attached Files

Never mind

The answer to your question is there is no particular size that it must be made out of.

It could be made with anything from 16g 3/4" tubing up to 6"x6"x1/4" HSS and beyond depending on the spacing of the members and the connection layout..
          Last edited by Bodybagger; 01-02-2010, 12:05 AM.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
          Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
          "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
          "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
          "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal