First project after buying a MM211

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First project after buying a MM211

Well like most hobbiest out there once you buy a MIG welder you need to build your own cart. I perused quite a few sites looked at lots of pictures and then set down to build one. After about 2 days the project was done. It may not be perfect but it works for me and I learned some things as I went along. Here are some of the pictures I took as I went a long. If you have any suggestions to improve the design please let me know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0125.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	527792

Name:	DSCF0130.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	527793

Name:	DSCF0136.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	527794

Name:	DSCF0139.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	527795

Name:	DSCF0144.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	527796
    Harold Mulder

Millermatic 211 MVP
    HTP Invertig 201 with water cooler

Nice job....Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Harold,

Excellent job on your cart. You are too modest. At the bottom left corner of your post you list your skill level. I think you need to bump that up to at least medium and a half...............good job.

Comment

i like the handle.

Comment

Nice job, how do you like the welder so far? I love mine.
          "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Comment

I like it...wouldn't change a thing.

Comment

First Project

Thanks for the replies. So Far I enjoy the welder. Will shortly be trying it with some thinner stock so we'll see how much practice I need there.

HHM
              Harold Mulder

Millermatic 211 MVP

Comment

Just a thought. But maybe bigger wheels up front. I know I have to deal with gravel driveways and extension cords on the shop floor. How do you like the 211? I bought one a couple months ago, but still have to wait to get home and use it.

Comment

First project

Bigger wheels would be good on rough terrain and I've seen a few people with some good sized tires. I don't plan at the moment to be anywhere other than on a concrete surface so these wheels should be fine and they work so far. I've just welded one project so far but the welder works fine for me. Decided to upgrade the MIG gun so just went out and bought a 15ft Praxair Prostar 250 Amp gun with centre fire tips. Essential a Bernard in Praxair clothing. Haven't had the chance to burn any metal with that though.

HHM
                  Harold Mulder

Millermatic 211 MVP

Comment

Harold; Great job !!
                    What are the platforms ( bases ) made of ?

........... Norm : PS. Does that say Canadian Forces on the Storage Bag ?
                    sigpic
                    Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
                    - Spoolgun.
                    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
                    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

First project

Yes it does say Canadian Forces. Spent 27 years Reg Force am now a 12 day month Reservist. The platforms are made of Cabinet grade veneer plywood. Since I do a lot of woodworking as well I had these pieces lying around that were cheaper than buying flat plat for the platforms. As long as I don't weld to close to the stand the sparks should not cause a problem

HHM
                      Harold Mulder

Millermatic 211 MVP

Comment

Originally posted by haroldmulder View Post
                        Yes it does say Canadian Forces. Spent 27 years Reg Force am now a 12 day month Reservist. The platforms are made of Cabinet grade veneer plywood. Since I do a lot of woodworking as well I had these pieces lying around that were cheaper than buying flat plat for the platforms. As long as I don't weld to close to the stand the sparks should not cause a problem

HHM
                        Harold,
                        That is a very nice cart. You asked for suggestions so here is one. Why not put some thin sheet metal over the wood? It would not be expensive and might prevent a fire.
                        Nick

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                          Harold,
                          That is a very nice cart. You asked for suggestions so here is one. Why not put some thin sheet metal over the wood? It would not be expensive and might prevent a fire.
                          Nick
                          Harold -- Nice cart. Looks well made.

With regards to fire, I'd worry more about the wood dust in the
                          shop. Look at the last picture in Harold's original post; there's
                          plenty of saw dust around what looks to be a very nice table saw.

I generally suggest to folks who do woodworking and want to
                          add metal fab & welding that they do their metal work in another
                          area (such as a garage). The fire risk is one reason. Another
                          is that grinding, etc, of metal creates a lot of very abrasive
                          grit that would get everywhere and absolutely demolish
                          unprotected tools/mechanisms and edges of planes, chisels, etc).

Frank

Comment

First project

Thanks for the points. I thought about coating the wood with a thin veneer of metal and may still do that down the road. However I will need to find a cheap material since when I was in some of the box stores the price of thin gauge metal was outrageous. As to the sawdust I know what you mean I actually have two fire extinguishers mounted on the wall of this 22 by 22ft garage just in case. I was in such a hurry to build my first project after buying the 211 that I couldn't wait to carefully clean out the shop. Before the next project though I will be cleaning it and I also plan to build some 5to6ft high shielding panels so that when the weather warms up I can also work outside on the driveway.
                            Harold Mulder

Millermatic 211 MVP

Comment

looks good and keep up your good work

Comment

Working...
                              X