Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

my newest http://www.ceilingtrains.com bridge

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my newest http://www.ceilingtrains.com bridge

This is bridge #11 that i just installed in my hometown. He also ordered 2 others #12 and #13 that will fit inside this one at different levels. I also built 2 others #14 and #15 to have in stock. It is a whole bunch of parts and a few thousand tacks. The tubing is 3/8" sq. This bridge is unpainted and bare metal and thats what he wanted. The ZW Transformer hangs underneath and plugs right into a ceiling box so nothing hangs down. The full 1/4 scale Lionel engines and cars really fill the space but he ir running this engine for Christmas...Bob
    Attached Files

A few more pics...
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks good Bob. Are those all tackwelds holding it together. What welder are you using on this project,Wayne

Comment

Yup lots of tacks, thousands of them on 5 bridges. I have a MM 185 mig with .030 HTP wire and CO2. Normally i use 75/25 but my bottle ran out...Bob

Comment

Train tracks

Hey thats cool, Looks like alot of little pcs welded together. Bet it took awhile to put it together. Vernon

Comment

Nicely Done!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vernon View Post
              Hey thats cool, Looks like alot of little pcs welded together. Bet it took awhile to put it together. Vernon
              The hardest part is making all of the welding fixtures. They go right together when all the major parts are done...Bob

Comment

Excellent work Bob. I have N scale trains, quite a bit smaller. Are the tracks held to the bridges with zip ties?
                Nick

Comment

Excellent work! I still have an old Lionell train set I use to play with when I was a kid. Good times.

Comment

Looks like alot of time involved.

Comment

It will look a lot better when i get the other two bridges hung and he has 5 trains running on them but thats after the new year. Yes Kiwi zip ties hold the track in place. It can't really go anyplace...Bob

Comment

looks great. nice to see you still playing trains, no point in getting old if ya dont have to .

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                          It will look a lot better when i get the other two bridges hung and he has 5 trains running on them but thats after the new year. Yes Kiwi zip ties hold the track in place. It can't really go anyplace...Bob
                          Hey Bob,
                          I wasn't giving you a hard time about the zip ties, I was just surprised to see them. I am used to carefully laying my track, making a pattern, dividing the distance and laying a cork bed for the tracks to be secured to. The elevated set up and zip ties are a heck of a lot easier. My way is a pain.
                          Nick

Comment

Curious

Hi Bob,
                            Its been a while how you doin'?

So how do you move that build around? Does it fit through a door way? Do you build it on site and then hang it? Ever done a train that circles the perimeter of the house? goes through walls and into other rooms? I think that would be really cool and a great conversation piece! One could put a series of flatbeds behind the locomotive and pull snacks from the kitchen to the guests in the living room! Hehehehe J/k

That definitely is a neat build. Cheers!

Comment

Made the front page of our local paper...Bob
                              http://www.salemnews.net/page/catego...5011/News.html

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.