Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual purpose trailer gate, mower and tractor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual purpose trailer gate, mower and tractor

I have a customer that has a 16 foot trailer with a 2 foot dovetail. He uses it to haul a 35 hp. midsize tractor and a 60 inch ztr mower. Right now he has two sets of ramps and wants me to build a single ramp that is strong enough for his tractor but wide and smooth enough to drive his mower up. I explained to him that this was going to be an extremely heavy ramp and I doubt the back edge of the trailer can support a gate like that bouncing down the highway. Any ideas. Thanks in advance, Adam

Gate

Here is a fast drawling I made you can use lite material and still be very strong Sorry the drawling was not to scale. Just a ideal to think about.
    Vernon
    Attached Files

Comment

I had taken some ramps and welded some pipe to the end of them and then welded a section of larger pipe to the trailer with the pipe on the ramp slide on so the ramps will move back and forth.

Comment

Vern, Thanks for the pic, Mk, That is what I have on my trailer and tried to sell that idea to him. What he is asking for is a gate like on the back of a landscape trailer that is strong enough for a tractor but smooth enough his mower deck won't hang up. I have no doubt I can build it for him but I think it will be so heavy he won't be able to raise and lower it.

Comment

Do a search for commercial mower accessories. Some of the guys I work with have lawn services on the side, I saw a device in one of there supply magazines that was a gate assist that bolted on the rails of the trailer and used springs to make lifting the gate easier.

Comment

Found some! http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._166839+778207

Comment

Did you consider a winch,either manual or electric to assist the lift. Winch could be mounted on front of trailer & used to load eqipment as well as lift ramp

Comment

Can you make it in 2 sections?

My little Trailer has the rear ramp gate set up that way.

Dunno what a 35hp Tractor weighs though.

Last edited by Broccoli1; 12-15-2009, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Diver dude, Mr. Ed,
                  I think I am going to combine your ideas, I will build him a set of split gates, with assists. I can probably get by with lighter material if I use some vertical stiffeners like Vern drew out for me. Maybe a 1-1/2" sq tube frame with some stout #9 exp metal for the mower. Thanks guys, Adam

Comment

The Gorilla lift that Diver sent you works awesome.....have one on my trailer makes it super easy to lower and raise back into position. Jim

Comment

i went to drop off some scrap 2x3 tubing to a friend that asked me for it one day and saw him making a set of ramps 6.5 feet long and 2feet wide and was looking at the steel he used and told him that it would not hold even the smallest of cars it was not heavy enough
                      he looked at me and said he knew
                      i was like ummmm??? ok so why are you maken it with that
                      he just said watch and you will see
                      well ok
                      after he welded everything he then went and got some 2x4 (wood)
                      and cut to fit inside the 2x3 tubing we had to hammer it in (you want it to fit very snug and in doing that made the ramps very very very strong
                      he tested it with his forklift and i just knew it would never hold up
                      it went up um down um with no problem
                      and the ranps were not that heavy to pick up
                      just a thought
                      this might be something looking into
                      gary...

Comment

you stated the trailer is dove tailed, correct? If so, the dove tail it self should not be constant load bearing. In this case, modify the dove part to function on a pivot joint, released and secured by lateral pins. Pull pins allowing dove tail to pivot to ground, load trailer,use a lever bar to pivot dove tail up and pins lock in.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.