Build a welding cart or buy a welding cart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build a welding cart or buy a welding cart

I know most of us would rather build a welding cart but if it is cheaper to buy an off the shelve welding cart, what would you do?

It's for my MM 135. I'm removing it from the current cart which I built inorder to house both my dynasty and mm. I scraped the miller cart it came with years ago. If I still have it, I would scrap the wheels to build a better cart since I hated that thing!

HF welding cart. $49.99 (sale price) + 20% coupon = $39.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90305

I remember spending $30-$35 for the 4 wheels on my current cart from OSH!

It will cost me $75+ compared to $39.99+tax!

Build or Buy?
    MM 135
    MM 200
    Dynasty 200DX
    Most $$$ toy - DynaPack 4000!

Originally posted by SunGuy View Post
    Build or Buy?
    buying can be faster and cheaper

building usually is more fun, and can be more easily
    customized to any needs/desires you have.

your choice

frank

Comment

Surplus Center has very inexpensive castors. Might try looking there first.
      I say build.
      T.J.
      Miller Dynasty 300DX
      HTP MIG 240
      HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
      South Bend Lathe
      Etc. Etc....
      tjsperformance.com

Comment

Welding cart

Hey,
        I would build one my self you will be proud of it for one, Plus you get all that you want out of it. buying one never fits your needs. Good luck
        Vernon

Comment

If money is not an issue- definitely build! Will be customized- and if you build it right it will last forever!

Comment

I know most of us would rather build a welding cart but if it is cheaper to buy an off the shelve welding cart, what would you do?

It's for my MM 135. I'm removing it from the current cart which I built inorder to house both my dynasty and mm. I scraped the miller cart it came with years ago. If I still have it, I would scrap the wheels to build a better cart since I hated that thing!

HF welding cart. $49.99 (sale price) + 20% coupon = $39.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90305

I remember spending $30-$35 for the 4 wheels on my current cart from OSH!

It will cost me $75+ compared to $39.99+tax!

Build or Buy?
            If you do opt to buy the one from HF it might not fit your MM 135. Make sure and double check measurments. IIRC you can't open the side to change your spool of wire.
            Dynasty 200 DX runner
            Sync 350 LX
            XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
            Hobart 135
            ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

I say build, it has your signature then. Anybody can buy a store bought one. I like it to be something that gets noticed and fits what I want it for.
              "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Comment

Have you actually put your hands on the Harbor Frieght cart, assembled with a welder on it? Those carts are rickety, wobbly worthless pieces of junk. Definately not worth spending any money on. I had one for awhile a long time ago and when I got rid of it I could barely give the thing away it was that bad.
                Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                Millermatic175
                MillermaticPassport/Q300
                HTP MIG200
                PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                Purox oxy/ace
                Jackson EQC
                -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                -LoadNGo utility bed
                -Bobcat 250NT
                -PassportPlus/Q300
                -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                -Smith oxy/propane
                -Jackson EQC

Comment

You bought the tools so that you could work with metal. Now work with metal and build your own. For $10 in tubing and wheels salvaged off something else you can have a real nice cart. I personally like to make them with two wheels, like a hand truck, to run it across dirt, instead of those four tiny casters. If you lived close I'd give you the wehels too.

Comment

You bought the tools so that you could work with metal. Now work with metal and build your own.
                    This statement could'nt be anymore true!

Comment

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
                      Have you actually put your hands on the Harbor Frieght cart, assembled with a welder on it? Those carts are rickety, wobbly worthless pieces of junk. Definately not worth spending any money on. I had one for awhile a long time ago and when I got rid of it I could barely give the thing away it was that bad.
                      I agree, I had to reinforce mine with some bed frame I found in the garbage.
                      Then replace the casters also cause the cheesy ones on the cart wouldn't roll good on my crappy potholed floor. Darrell

Comment

I built my cart off my old 5 drawer craftsman box. Built a couple cylinder racks on the one side, and a frame to hold my MM185. So far it has served me rather well, and all my welding tools fit inside of it.

Link:

Cylinder Side
                        http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...7cbc71a88d.jpg

Welder Side
                        http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...dc5a78a72c.jpg

Just throwing this out there as food for thought. Not trying to hijack or anything.
                        Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Comment

Build or Buy?
                          Sounds like you need to sell the welder to a weldor who appreciates the fact that he can build anything better than he can buy it..
                          Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

Comment

If you just have to spend money at HF, go to the back of the store, get a set of heavy duty wheels for $15, then stop at the steel supplier and get the material for $20 and build 4 times the cart they had at HF. I went a little overboard with mine and still only spent about $60.Click image for larger version

Name:	MM211 Cart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	506773
                            "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by fastopel View Post
                              I agree, I had to reinforce mine with some bed frame I found in the garbage.
                              Then replace the casters also cause the cheesy ones on the cart wouldn't roll good on my crappy potholed floor. Darrell
                              Sounds like the old joke about the history museum that had
                              the ax George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree.
                              They had to replace the handle a few times and the head once or
                              twice, but it was Old George's ax....

Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X