Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skeet Thrower

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeet Thrower

hey Guys,

I have been looking at some skeet throwers that can through more then one clay target at a time. they are all to expensive!!!! I would like to build one and was wondering if any one has built one? or any ideas about where to start?

I'm not trying to be a smarty here, but I'd start by buying one that works. I've shot clay targets off of the little cheap throwers and also the skeet range models. I'd hate to think about making one that I thought would come close to working as well as the factory made ones. To make a clay target fly correctly, the angle and speed of the throwing arm has to be pretty much on the money. The arms are made of aluminum with a rubber rail attached and the spring tension and linkage are critical to make it work. I'm not saying that one can't be built, but I'd put my efforts elsewhere before building one.

Comment

I understand what you mean, but I don’t like to buy stuff I think I can build better…. I am still going to try to make one. One that does exactly what I want it to do, being somewhat of a welder/fabricator I think that I can make anything I put my mind to. Maybe I am cocky, but that’s just the way I think. I will be sure to post it once done…..it may take a while but I will post it.

Comment

Check this out...Bob
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XOrPbDEwbI

Comment

good luck with your future build

Comment

Are you looking to build a thrower that throwers more than one clay at a time or a thrower that throws one after the other without having to reset / reload ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck U&R View Post
              Are you looking to build a thrower that throwers more than one clay at a time or a thrower that throws one after the other without having to reset / reload ?
              I am trying to throw more then one at a time, i dont mind haveing to manually load it each time but would pefer to be able to change the amout of clays being thrown form 1-3. thanks for the help.

Comment

Keep us posted- I can only think of a few things that are more fun than going to the back 40 and unloading on some clays.. I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Comment

I bought one of these -

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-TRIUS-ME...item53dea6527b

and built a stand / horse whatever using a tractor seat.

I know it will throw 2 never tried 3.

Comment

For $30 or so at wally world you can get a hoppes clay target thrower. I have one and it's been working for years. If it's less then a $100 I'd just buy one

Comment

I thought of this thread as I was going through my mail the other day and dug it back up. January seems to be the clearance time for these machines, I think about getting one every year. This page features several styles by Champion from a unit you bolt to a post (sale price of $50) to one that takes what looks like a box of targets, self loads and oscillates (sale price of $1000). I agree with the above posts to buy the machine part you want and fab up the rest. You can build what ever stand and launch station you want, add wheels to make it portable, have a seat for a helper, storage rack for the targets, ammo, emptys, include a battery holder if you get the powered one, fab up a remote release cable, etc etc etc. Hey, I think I just talked myself into doing one myself this year, good family fun!
                      (edit: also have the standard ground mounts for $20 and do watch out for those shipping charges...)

This is from Natchez, but you can check out Midway or Cabelas, these are good companies to deal with.

http://catalogs.natchezss.com/F012010/full.asp?page=69
                      Last edited by Bobcatter; 01-16-2010, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Not all birds fly the same so all target throwers do not need to have the targets fly the same way. While we are on it, why are the clay targets round and bland in color. I think they should be the shape and color of the bird you intend to hunt. They do not need sound as in squawking, that would be just stupid.
                        Nick

Comment

I'd buy a good one, and build the stand for it too.
                          I got one for about $100 a few years ago that throws doubles, speed/distance can be adjusted,
                          and can be quickly moved side to side, or up & down--- like a turret.
                          It also has a clutch. The arm swings/throws from 6:00 up to 12:00,
                          then goes over center, and stops at 9:00.
                          To re-set it, you just pull the arm through the rest of the circle back to 6:00.

No way I could build something like that as easy as I could work a little overtime to come up with a extra $100.

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                            Not all birds fly the same so all target throwers do not need to have the targets fly the same way. While we are on it, why are the clay targets round and bland in color. I think they should be the shape and color of the bird you intend to hunt. They do not need sound as in squawking, that would be just stupid.
                            Nick
                            I wonder if anyone took me serious.

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                              I wonder if anyone took me serious.
                              I don't know about that, but as expensive as clay pigeons are-
                              they're hard to kill, as well as they taste just awful.
                              Of the few I've shot;
                              I've cooked them every way I know, and they always taste like dirt.

Lately, I've been thinking about putting re-useable things in the thrower.
                              Things that fly more like wild animals would. We have plenty of road killed opossums and squirrels around here. I might just start using them instead of the more expensive clay pigeons.
                              (just teasing ya bro)

Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-17-2010, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.