Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

warped table frame

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy,

Let this table serve as one of life's lessons regarding welding.

Yea, there are probably a few on here that could "straighten" that table out, but it still isn't going to be right.

You'll find that when a project isn't "started correctly", it seldom comes out well. Plus, you're fighting yourself at every turn. When a phase of a project (say attaching the legs) doesn't go as you expect, STOP, fix the error and then proceed. Framing square, heavy clamps, and lots of good tacks are a welder's best friends.

Don't feel too bad. We've all probably chucked our fair share of "opps" in the dumpster. The longer you stay at it (welding), the fewer trips you'll have to make (dumpster).

Comment

Of the dozen or so projects I made in the last year or so since I've started welding, there are only a few that I haven't had to do twice. On about half of them, I buggered them up fairly close to the finish and pushed through thinking that it's good enough. Then, about a month of looking at some cockeyed angle, or misplaced hole drives me nuts and I cut it up and do it again.

Comment

what I normaly do is set the loader bucket down on it.

Comment

Andy,
          What was the final outcome? Were you able to fix the table or did you build another?
          Nick

Comment

i have an expensive 4x8 11 ga. welding table frame sitting in the corner holding a cold saw because i put too much heat in it when welding and it warped. sucks but i learned a le$$on. getting by on a junker table until i find a good deal on a Acorn or Weldsale table.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy_pop View Post
              i have an expensive 4x8 11 ga. welding table frame sitting in the corner holding a cold saw because i put too much heat in it when welding and it warped. sucks but i learned a le$$on. getting by on a junker table until i find a good deal on a Acorn or Weldsale table.
              Gary use to have a couple Acorn tables for sale. I don’t see them now but that doesn’t mean he sold them. Give him a call; see if he still has them. Shipping alone will set you right back on your heels!
              Hope you have a forklift.

http://stores.ebay.com/Gary-Aragon__...0Q2em14?_pgn=2

Comment

I'd love to have some of the tables shown. I'd also like to have a way to move them and a (larger) place to use them.

One thing is for sure, a person can't come close to building a new one for what those can be bought for.

Comment

ive been watching craigslist and equipment auctions for a 4x8 or even 5x10. seems clean ones can be bought for $2500.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.