Series 50 refurbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 50 refurbs

Here's a few more pix of some 50 series machines I did this summer. Since I was asked about going thru the entire machine, I will let the pix tell the story. The first post is the before condition & tear down.

The rest will follow.
    Attached Files
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

It didn't really need much electronically (except a new board), but I take the entire head assy' off & do a detail clean & inspection anyways. The motor comes out & I pull the rear cover, tach assy' & inspect the bearings & arm. If the motor cords are bad, I replace them. All the cast aluminum parts get bead blasted & clear coated.

The face comes off too, along with the DRO assy' & housing. I paint all the individual pieces before reassembly. Everything gets washed before paint. Yes, it is OK to wash stuff like this. Getting it entirely dry before firing it back up is the key.

I use a custom mixed automotive acrylic enamel & have a shop the makes repro decals for me here locally in Lansing, MI. Been doing these 50 Series wrappers (sheetmetal) in stainless & they have come out really nice so far.

Here's the finished machine. I worked on it off & on for about a week.

The final pic is of an ugly one next to a refurbed unit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 7A749; 12-07-2009, 07:07 AM.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Welcome. Nice looking work. How did you get into rebuilding feeders & why mostly 50 series? Just curious.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
        Welcome. Nice looking work. How did you get into rebuilding feeders & why mostly 50 series? Just curious.
        Thanks. I have been buying & selling machines for about 10 years. I started doing refurbs mostly because sending them out to troubleshoot simple problems cost too much money. It has been progressive. At first, I was just cleaning them up & realized more was needed to sell them as refurbished units.

I'm not tooting my own horn, but after seeing what some on the net pass off as "rebuilt", I never want to be associated in any way with hacks like that.

As far as my love for the 50 Series, it goes way back..

They are one of the toughest, heavy duty wire feeders ever manufactured & remained literally unchanged from their introduction in the mid '70's until the early '90's with the introduction of the 60 Series 24 volt units. 50 Series style drives are found on everything from Millermatic all in ones to heavy duty robotic welding systems.

IMHO, the best bang for your buck, being they can run on almost any CV power source. I have seen these running on engine drive machines with the 115 plugged into the aux outlet. Hard to beat something so versitle & heavy duty.

IMHO, of course

Comment

As always, nice work!

Good to see you here Steve!
          Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
          Millermatic175
          MillermaticPassport/Q300
          HTP MIG200
          PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
          ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
          Purox oxy/ace
          Jackson EQC
          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
          -LoadNGo utility bed
          -Bobcat 250NT
          -PassportPlus/Q300
          -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
          -Suitcase8RC/Q400
          -Suitcase12RC/Q300
          -Smith oxy/propane
          -Jackson EQC

Comment

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
            As always, nice work!

Good to see you here Steve!
            Thanks DR!!

I appreciate your insight on this forum. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Comment

What do you know about air co stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by jardine View Post
                What do you know about air co stuff?
                Depends on what it is. Esab, Miller & others all manufactured machines for Airco to the best of my knowledge.

What do you have?

Comment

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ghlight=air-co
                  This is one of them.
                  The machine is programable to run on a robot but also manual. I pull the trigger, nothing, let go of trigger the feed starts working till the wire makes an arc then shuts off. It acts like it's set up on some program for a robot. It's been awhile since I've screwed with it. I might have to turn it back on to refresh me. I traded an old lincon that for it. Its real cherry and could be a good asset to me.
                  Any insight would be good
                  Thanks,
                  Jerod

Comment

I like it. looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by jardine View Post
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ghlight=air-co
                      This is one of them.
                      The machine is programable to run on a robot but also manual. I pull the trigger, nothing, let go of trigger the feed starts working till the wire makes an arc then shuts off. It acts like it's set up on some program for a robot. It's been awhile since I've screwed with it. I might have to turn it back on to refresh me. I traded an old lincon that for it. Its real cherry and could be a good asset to me.
                      Any insight would be good
                      Thanks,
                      Jerod
                      Post some pix of it. Sorry, I didn't see your response earlier.

I have little to no familiarity with the Airco machines that aren't manufactured by Miller, but if I can help I will.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, do you rebuild these then sell them? How much do you sell them for?

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                          Just out of curiosity, do you rebuild these then sell them? How much do you sell them for?
                          Yes, I do both. Probably more straight out sales than anything else. This is usually because of the non value added shipping charges to get a machine here & back. The prices are depending on the unit. I will be happy to send you a PM regarding pricing.

Don't want to get anyone's feathers in a ruffle thinking I'm just here to sell stuff. Already went thru that with a real mental giant over on WW.

He got nasty, then he got in trouble.

Life goes on......

Comment

Working...
                          X