Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My attempt at pipewelding today.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My attempt at pipewelding today.

    As you can see, I'm not a pipe welder,

    Don't laugh to hard, I'm trying
    Attached Files

  • #2
    pipe welding

    Originally posted by bubba9459 View Post
    As you can see, I'm not a pipe welder,

    Don't laugh to hard, I'm trying
    looks pretty good buddy
    Vernon

    Comment


    • #3
      Cap looks OK, break some coupons out of it and let's see the real truth!

      Comment


      • #4
        They look real good!
        Do you have them pictured upside down? You didn’t run them down hill did you?
        What machine are you using? Do you have Arc Force or Dig? Reason I ask looks like the weld is stiff, needs more fluidity / more flow.
        What brand of rod are you using?

        Comment


        • #5
          Yep, Down, I guess thats cheating ! even worse, I'm using my Miller 135, Don't have a stick welder. Not real good at vertical up ( works good in a corner )

          .500 wall pipe, I don't think the 135 makes enough heat to keep it flowing. Plus I'm running .023 wire right now, maybe the .030 would be better.
          The root pass was nice and hot, not quite the " stack of dimes " but it looked good.

          When I built the butterfly, I had to piece together (5) - 1ft pieces of 4" pipe, I used the .035 fluxcore, It ran nice and hot, for such a small machine.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
            break some coupons out of it and let's see the real truth!
            Originally posted by bubba9459 View Post
            Yep, Down, I guess thats cheating ! even worse, I'm using my Miller 135, Don't have a stick welder. Not real good at vertical up ( works good in a corner )

            .500 wall pipe, I don't think the 135 makes enough heat to keep it flowing. Plus I'm running .023 wire right now, maybe the .030 would be better.
            The root pass was nice and hot, not quite the " stack of dimes " but it looked good.

            When I built the butterfly, I had to piece together (5) - 1ft pieces of 4" pipe, I used the .035 fluxcore, It ran nice and hot, for such a small machine.
            If you do as nocheepgas suggest, stand back, way back!

            Comment


            • #7
              They look good. However, .500 wall is a bit heavy for that machine and wire. Fluxcore would work better, and if you V'd the joint, you might get in enough heat. If it was me though I might have tried preheating it to get the temperature up prior to striking an arc, or used a heavier machine.

              Comment


              • #8
                work at it soon you might be an expert.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Good as a practice coupon, you might even hit a good spot to cut a test from but its scrap. Great for art work. I don't mean that as an insult, it looks nice. But this crew on this forum generally wants to leave the impression that heavy pipe welding with a 135 is an unacceptable practice for anything subject to service.
                  Last edited by Sberry; 12-09-2009, 08:35 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yep, I wouldn't try to pass it off as anything structural, It was just for this little dog, Running low on pipe so I had to weld two short pieces together for his body.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.