Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS Flower Pot

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SS Flower Pot

    So the wife has this huge plant in the living room. Its about 7 feet tall and getting pretty heavy (its fallen over once). So it needs a bigger/heavier base. Plant pots in the store were over $80 for one we thought was suitable. Here's my idea: Make one out of a sheet of 304SS. I'm thinking it needs to be 18" high and about 20" diameter and maybe 18ga??? Will be tig welding the overlap seam and controlling distortion with a wet rag on the inside. Any thoughts if this is a good idea?

  • #2
    Only if you dont mind spending more than $80.00 for the stainless.

    Comment


    • #3
      think it would be a great ider even if cost goes over $80 you cant put a price on the satisfaction you will get

      Comment


      • #4
        I think it will work out great. Also you will have some pride in to it.

        Comment


        • #5
          What finish would you guys recommend? I was thinking just going with the dull ugly stainless, then hitting it with a 5" blending disk?

          Comment


          • #6
            Well I decided the cost of material was way too high due to the labor costs involved when the steel supplier rolled the pieces, so I have ordered the material to make it square. Will post pics when completed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Here it is. From any normal distance and to an untrained eye, it looks PERFECT. Up close though, you can see where I had to buff near the welds to get rid of the heat stains. Questions/comments, fire away!
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                So what gauge did you go with? Have you put soil in it yet? No wheels?

                Comment


                • #9
                  18 gauge, which was just about perfect. I'll use that again for the next one, too. No soil yet as I just finished it today. The soil part is the GF's responsibility! No wheels; can't see us moving it too often. Not a bad idea though...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You may see some bowing out once filled with 18 gauge. Another idea, make the next one 6 or even 8 sided. Would give you more structural strength with more sides.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                      You may see some bowing out once filled with 18 gauge. Another idea, make the next one 6 or even 8 sided. Would give you more structural strength with more sides.
                      Yup, another good point. It will definitely bow out a little with soil. I'm hoping not too much...
                      Will post pics after the weekend with soil inside.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Or you could just weld ribs into it. Either flat stock or 1/2 angle.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by partagas View Post
                          Or you could just weld ribs into it. Either flat stock or 1/2 angle.
                          Yep, That's what I'd do as well !
                          The soil will hide'em .

                          ............ Norm

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well here it is totally complete and NO BULGING! The stems are not really strong enough to stand upright, so I stuck a broomstick in the inside corner of the pot and drilled two 3/16" holes near the top in that corner so that zip ties hold the broomstick tight in the corner. Works very well. Total cost of material was only $49. Its also bigger and nicer than any pot we saw in stores, not to mention cheaper as well. Definitely gonna build more of these bad boys.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Looks great! I'm sure you could sell them as well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.