Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Welding Table Pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Welding Table Pictures

    Here is a few photos of my new welding table. The frame is 2 1/2" 11 ga box tubing welded to 3/8" plate to support the castors. The table top is ~ 2'x5' of 3/4" plate. Each of the castors are rated at 350lbs. I am not sure if I should put shelves under the table so I guess I am still in the planning stage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Attached Files

  • #2
    New Welding Table

    Is this your first welding table. Looks nice
    Vernon

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes it is my first welding table. I was tired of welding on the floor.
      Nick

      Comment


      • #4
        Welding Table

        Originally posted by kiwi View Post
        Yes it is my first welding table. I was tired of welding on the floor.
        Nick

        (Welding on floor) Been their done that not going back Check my bench in my profile page : pictures.

        Comment


        • #5
          I will check your table out.
          Nick

          Comment


          • #6
            The table looks good. Is that 3/4" plate?

            I recently had a similar project -- a very heavy piece of steel and no one to help move it. It was an interesting challenge to get it out of my truck and onto the base I had for it -- interesting all over again when I realized I had to flip it and rotate it 180 degrees. I wish I'd had an engine hoist like that to help. Mine was 1" and weighed over 500 pounds.

            Some pictures:







            Mine isn't my normal welding table, although it would work in a pinch.
            Jack Olsen
            The Garage (And its slideshow)
            The Car (And its slideshow)

            Comment


            • #7
              Welding Table

              Nick;
              Very nice looking job. I am sure you will enjoy having something like that to work on. I was lucky enough to be given a welding table. I put some levelers on the feet and three trailer jacks with wheels so that I can level it in place but also have the capability to move it around. I added some one inch pipe between two of the legs to hang clamps on.
              Bill

              Miller Mig 130XP
              Linde VI206 W/Mig
              Miller Econotig
              L Tec Plasma PCM32i
              Pneumtic Forging Hammer 75#
              Mechanical Forging Hammer 65#
              Propane Forge
              Makita Chop Saw
              Bader 72" Belt Grinder
              Bader Knockoff 72" Belt Grinder
              Milwaukee Portoband

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                I am not sure if I should put shelves under the table so I guess I am still in the planning stage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
                Nice looking work.

                My suggestion about shelves (and other accessories) is to add them as
                you figure out what you need and what works best for what you are
                doing. I've found that as I've set up several home workshops, that
                I've thought that such-and-such would be a good thing to have,
                only to find out later that i'd really rather have had a so-and-so,
                or that the such-and-such was the wrong size, once i started to use
                it, etc, etc, etc.

                Frank

                Comment


                • #9
                  Looks good. but I don't like my table to move. But thats just me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jack Olsen View Post
                    The table looks good. Is that 3/4" plate?
                    Mine isn't my normal welding table, although it would work in a pinch.
                    Jack,
                    Actually the table top is a tad over 3/4" plate. Why did you choose such heavy plate for the top of the cabinet? The engine hoist that you had seen in the photos was about $125 from HF.
                    Nick

                    Originally posted by billybee60 View Post
                    Nick;
                    Very nice looking job. I am sure you will enjoy having something like that to work on. I was lucky enough to be given a welding table. I put some levelers on the feet and three trailer jacks with wheels so that I can level it in place but also have the capability to move it around. I added some one inch pipe between two of the legs to hang clamps on.
                    Billybee60,
                    Thanks for the kind words. I wish someone had given me a table!
                    Nick

                    Originally posted by fjk View Post
                    Nice looking work.

                    My suggestion about shelves (and other accessories) is to add them as
                    you figure out what you need and what works best for what you are
                    doing. I've found that as I've set up several home workshops, that
                    I've thought that such-and-such would be a good thing to have,
                    only to find out later that i'd really rather have had a so-and-so,
                    or that the such-and-such was the wrong size, once i started to use
                    it, etc, etc, etc.

                    Frank
                    Thanks Frank. That sounds like a good idea. I will give it some time to see what my needs will be.
                    Nick
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nice Table

                      Looks really good! How tall did you make it? I just had a guy donate a bunch of steel he removed from a job he did on a automated belt. He said all i had to do was load it up and it was mine. Its more than enough to make several benches. I don't have a really big shop and the idea of wheels to me makes sense. I am always having to move something around to make room for bigger projects. Do you have any close ups on how you mounted the wheels? I was thinking you really should have a shelf. You could make it solid or slotted that way you wouldn't get a lot of dust and other waste building up on it. Just a thought.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KT WELDOR View Post
                        ... How tall did you make it?
                        Hi

                        Bench height is a very personal thing.
                        Factors include things like how tall you are,
                        what "feels good" to you, what kind of work
                        you're doing (tig, for example, is often done
                        sitting, while stick isn't, for which the optimum
                        heights ar different ... except not everyone
                        sits for tig or stands for stick... :-), how much
                        overhead height you have (because top of
                        bench to bottom of ceiling is the max size thing
                        you can put there), how old you are (the older
                        you are, the harder it might be to bend...) etc.

                        As a general rule of thumb, look at your kitchen
                        counter tops and adjust from that.

                        The other thing I recommend is to go to a woodworking
                        store and look through their book section for books/plans
                        on benches. Woodworkers spend a lot of time trying
                        to figure out "the best" bench height... We can learn from
                        them :-)

                        frank

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KT WELDOR View Post
                          Looks really good! How tall did you make it? I just had a guy donate a bunch of steel he removed from a job he did on a automated belt. He said all i had to do was load it up and it was mine. Its more than enough to make several benches. I don't have a really big shop and the idea of wheels to me makes sense. I am always having to move something around to make room for bigger projects. Do you have any close ups on how you mounted the wheels? I was thinking you really should have a shelf. You could make it solid or slotted that way you wouldn't get a lot of dust and other waste building up on it. Just a thought.
                          Thanks,
                          As soon as I get in the shop I will let you know how tall the table is. I can tell you that all the welding tables I have used were always too short and after some time my back would hurt. I designed this table to be comfortable when standing or sitting on a stool. I agree about the shelves but I am not sure what I need at this point. My shop is average size but I always make my equipment mobile for the reasons you pointed out....big projects.
                          Nick
                          e

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            An easy and safe way to move a heavy plate like this, is to weld some tabs on it and use a chain. You'll have many years of use with this table.
                            How much was the plate if you dont mind me asking?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                              An easy and safe way to move a heavy plate like this, is to weld some tabs on it and use a chain. You'll have many years of use with this table.
                              How much was the plate if you dont mind me asking?
                              Daniel,
                              To be honest I have had the plate for quite some time so I am not sure how much I paid. I got it from a local metal recycler and paid $0.15/lb. Since then the price has gone up to $0.20/lb, which is still a lot cheaper than new steel!!!! I had to get one more 20' stick of 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" 11ga. square tubing, and I got it for the "discounted" price of $75 per stick not including tax.
                              Nick

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X