Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

going to be making home made pressbrake, jack sizes?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to be making home made pressbrake, jack sizes?

think i am going to make it about 400mm long maybe 500mm depending what i got lying around.

just need to know what size tonage jacks should i use? looking to bend anything up to 8mm over the 400-500mm though it probably wouldnt be likely i would need to do this but i would like to have the capabilty there.
    just for using around the home making stuff up. i would say mainly 3-5mm steel, aluminium ect
    just a side note would a pressbrake be able to bend 1-1.6mm stainless sheet?

and what spacing do the bottom dies need to be?

The rule for the bottom die is 8 times the thickness of the metal you want to bend for the width of the vee...Bob
    http://www.accurpress.com/#loadCalculator bottom left side for a calculator.
    http://www.americanmachinetools.com/pressure_table.htm

Comment

Do a little "Reasearch", look on some of the tol web sites for ideas. I know a few have 20 and 40 ton shop presses and the web sites probably have a few dimensions. I built mine using a 20 ton jack. havent built the press brake yet, material still sitting in the corner. Go big on the header over the jack, I have 2 pices of 6" channel on mine and I've had it bow a little when pressing a stuck bearing

Comment

a twenty ton jack I would think would be just right.

Comment

going by the calculator i think maybe a 30-40t jack would be good though may go for a 20t.

also because of the different thickness i want to bend the bottom dies need to be adjustable? what would i use for dies? i was thinking some 25x25 heavy RHS or maybe even solid?

Comment

Originally posted by brendan_h View Post
            going by the calculator i think maybe a 30-40t jack would be good though may go for a 20t.

also because of the different thickness i want to bend the bottom dies need to be adjustable? what would i use for dies? i was thinking some 25x25 heavy RHS or maybe even solid?
            You could use heavy flatbar with bolts and a thick spacer in between and let the flatbar ears stick up. Or you can use thick angle placed on its point and re enforce the sides with flat...Bob

Comment

Sort of like this...Bob
              Attached Files

Comment

how deep do the dies need to be? i like the idear of the flat bar.

Comment

Depends how thick the metal is for the depth. You don't want to hit bottom before you are at 90 degrees...Bob

Comment

best to cut out a holl then?

plan so far is

150x5mm flat bar as the base and starting point with a cut out section where the dies will go.

bottom dies thinking some 25x12 flat bar welded in so the flat bar is lying flat. will only give 12mm befor it bottoms out however i will be cutting a hole out of the base to allow the extra room. ill put some legs on the plate

for the frame to hold the jack still deciding what do use there. thinking maybe come C cection (150 x50)

would be better not to cut the base but i need to know what sort of depth bending 8mm steel will need with a die opening of 80mm
                    Last edited by brendan_h; 12-01-2009, 06:54 PM.

Comment

i stuffed up and didnt understand what was ment. will be using angle now. 65x65x10 be alright or would 50x50x8 be better?

Comment

got the bottom die make up.

end up using some angle and put a 8mm spacer under one side of the angle. some the V is over 90 degrees. hopfully its enough to do 8mm do you think it will do 8mm the way i made it?

Comment

NOOB CAD of what i did

black is the angle and plate the angle is on. red was the 3 bars i made to connect the 2 and blue is weld.
                          with the upper dies do i make it so the angle on the die is the same as the lower die?

on with the main frame got no ider how do make it so the press can slide other then using pipe

Last edited by brendan_h; 12-02-2009, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Go to www.northerntool.com & do a search for press brake which will show you pics of what you can buy. Should give you some ideas.

Comment

how good do the upper die need to be? can you just grind it to shape?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.