Ring roller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring roller

This is my first attempt at a poor mans ring roller, I have about $ 20 in it. The bottle jack was the only thing I had to buy.

The rollers are 3 3/8 "x 5" round bar, I drilled 1/2" holes through them with my tabletop drill press ( Biggest drill I had )the rest is just scrap, and an old engine stand.

It worked perfectly, until I tried to roll some 1/4" x 5" flat, It rolled it just fine, but it bent the top shaft, So I cut another roller, This time, I had to drill the roller with a hand drill, So you can guess how that worked out, The hole is not quite straight. It still rolls ok, but I had to add the side guides to keep my rings straight.

I want to try to make another one, I came across some SKF 1 1/2" pillow blocks, but I have no way to drill an 1 1/2" hole through the 3 3/8 " round bar stock.

So it will have to do for now.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by bubba9459 View Post
    This is my first attempt at a poor mans ring roller, I have about $ 20 in it. The bottle jack was the only thing I had to buy.

The rollers are 3 3/8 "x 5" round bar, I drilled 1/2" holes through them with my tabletop drill press ( Biggest drill I had )the rest is just scrap, and an old engine stand.

It worked perfectly, until I tried to roll some 1/4" x 5" flat, It rolled it just fine, but it bent the top shaft, So I cut another roller, This time, I had to drill the roller with a hand drill, So you can guess how that worked out, The hole is not quite straight. It still rolls ok, but I had to add the side guides to keep my rings straight.

I want to try to make another one, I came across some SKF 1 1/2" pillow blocks, but I have no way to drill an 1 1/2" hole through the 3 3/8 " round bar stock.

good job
    i think it looks good
    i been meaning to make one for myself but just havenot had the time to do anything for myself
    gary...

Comment

Originally posted by bubba9459 View Post

I think you can buy the roller set seperately from harbor freight.Mike

Comment

Roller

Hey Bubba,
        What if you take a pcs of 3" pipe Measure about 3 3/8" outside Than take two 3/8" Plates burn them to fit into the ends of pipe with 1 1/2" holes in center weld the plates into the ends of pipe square than weld shaft to plates Like a flat belt pully That way you only have to drill 3/8" thick Just a ideal.
        Vernon

Comment

That thing is awesome! Great job!

As far as the 1.5" hole, you may have to drill the biggest you got and then find a lathe.

Just my 2 cents.

PS. I may copy you idea

Comment

Ring roller.

You know I spent almost 5k on one and I'll bet it doesn't work any better than you 20 buck one. 'scept I got to work with anodized pipe so I got me a set of them plastic guides.
            Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Working...
            X