Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ring roller

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring roller

This is my first attempt at a poor mans ring roller, I have about $ 20 in it. The bottle jack was the only thing I had to buy.

The rollers are 3 3/8 "x 5" round bar, I drilled 1/2" holes through them with my tabletop drill press ( Biggest drill I had )the rest is just scrap, and an old engine stand.

It worked perfectly, until I tried to roll some 1/4" x 5" flat, It rolled it just fine, but it bent the top shaft, So I cut another roller, This time, I had to drill the roller with a hand drill, So you can guess how that worked out, The hole is not quite straight. It still rolls ok, but I had to add the side guides to keep my rings straight.

I want to try to make another one, I came across some SKF 1 1/2" pillow blocks, but I have no way to drill an 1 1/2" hole through the 3 3/8 " round bar stock.

So it will have to do for now.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by bubba9459 View Post
    This is my first attempt at a poor mans ring roller, I have about $ 20 in it. The bottle jack was the only thing I had to buy.

The rollers are 3 3/8 "x 5" round bar, I drilled 1/2" holes through them with my tabletop drill press ( Biggest drill I had )the rest is just scrap, and an old engine stand.

It worked perfectly, until I tried to roll some 1/4" x 5" flat, It rolled it just fine, but it bent the top shaft, So I cut another roller, This time, I had to drill the roller with a hand drill, So you can guess how that worked out, The hole is not quite straight. It still rolls ok, but I had to add the side guides to keep my rings straight.

I want to try to make another one, I came across some SKF 1 1/2" pillow blocks, but I have no way to drill an 1 1/2" hole through the 3 3/8 " round bar stock.

good job
    i think it looks good
    i been meaning to make one for myself but just havenot had the time to do anything for myself
    gary...

Comment

Originally posted by bubba9459 View Post

I think you can buy the roller set seperately from harbor freight.Mike

Comment

Roller

Hey Bubba,
        What if you take a pcs of 3" pipe Measure about 3 3/8" outside Than take two 3/8" Plates burn them to fit into the ends of pipe with 1 1/2" holes in center weld the plates into the ends of pipe square than weld shaft to plates Like a flat belt pully That way you only have to drill 3/8" thick Just a ideal.
        Vernon

Comment

That thing is awesome! Great job!

As far as the 1.5" hole, you may have to drill the biggest you got and then find a lathe.

Just my 2 cents.

PS. I may copy you idea

Comment

Ring roller.

You know I spent almost 5k on one and I'll bet it doesn't work any better than you 20 buck one. 'scept I got to work with anodized pipe so I got me a set of them plastic guides.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.