Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEAVY METAL: The Re-Cycle

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it run? Yes, and quite well. Poured some gas in the tank, flipped the choke lever up, turned on the gas, gave it four quick pulls, and VROOM! Loose brakes, no killswitch (well, okay, I had a bare wire), wobbled some, carb leaked (don't they all?), but ****, it runs! Woohoo! Took it for a quick spin around my driveway, running circles around the drieway in front of my two-car garage, then took it for a quick run back and forth in front of the house. The CVT provides a surprising amount of torque, and I was able to get up to a decent 10mph with lots of throttle to go (didn't want to go any faster because of the brake issue ....) Not like it's going to run much faster than that, since I mainly made it for a fairgrounds / swap meet cruiser ....

On Halloween, The Re-Cycle made its first public appearance. My friends and I were holding a mini track meet at a local motorcycle shop that allows us to use its rear parking lot as a racetrack - we just block off the entrances, set up a bunch of cones, and roll out the bikes. EVERYBODY thought the bike was really cool, and couldn't believe that it was all made from tire irons and scrap metal! After a leaky carburetor was changed out and the idle adjusted, the bike fired every time after three hard pulls. It wound up being used as a mini-pitbike to run from one end of the track to the other, and performed flawlessly each and every time. That CVT makes the bike pull like a freight train, and just keeps on pulling during acceleration. I have to say I'm VERY happy with its performance, and glad I took the time to take on this challenge.

One of the guys on another forum (pocketbikeplanet.com) is trying to talk me into putting a mini-sidecar on it. Well, okay .... I already have the receiver mounts all set up for the sidecar when I get around to building it, which will also be made of mostly scrap metal. The only "bought" parts for the sidecar have been the outside wheel (Harbor Freight) and the receiver tubes.

Currently, The Re-Cycle is in the process of being painted FFB (Flat Effin' Black, the ONLY color for something like this) with red rims. Am waiting on a new rear rim to show up, though, as I unfortunately shattered the rim by tightening it up too much on a stepped axle ...
    Last edited by SpyGuy; 11-21-2009, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Looks like you had fun building. If you scroll through all the photos real fast.....it's like a movie

Comment

Awsome job, I love creative stuff like that. Shows some real imaganitive thinking.

Comment

I had a lot of fun building it, and learned a lot along the way. Obviously, I still have a few bugs to work out on the bike here and there, but everything else seems to be very solidly put together. (The frame is definitely solid - I accidentally knocked it off the table a couple of times, and no stress fractures from falling, so I guess I did okay....) There are a few things I would have done differently if I were to do it all over again, but I'm pretty happy with the results. About a month's time went into the build, with a good two weeks worth of planning and cutting material before I ever picked up the torch.

Even including the cost of the wrecked goped I got the wheels and controls from ($50), plus the cost of the CVT ($40) and assorted hardware, nuts and bolts, I'd say I've got less than $150 into the bike. The engine was a running donor from one of my other pocketbikes, and will be going back into that bike once I build up an engine for this one.

A few things have been added since the last update, such as an upper engine mount made from a pair of 1/4" wrenches with the head of a 9/16" wrench welded between for support, and a killswitch. The killswitch is mounted on the lower part of the seatpost, being the ONLY "standard" sized pipe on the entire bike to mount it! As I mentioned earlier, a pair of receivers have been welded underneath the frame (middle of the engine and underneath the air cleaner) for adding a "re-cycled" mini-sidecar at a later date. I'll get a few more pictures up soon ....

Comment

Haha. You have a great job. I love to recycle also mine. That is a good bike!

Comment

no wonder i can't ever find a tire iron at the junk yard. good job

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.